Dual Bank Floating Supercap Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
This is a design for a dual bank floating supercap power supply. TL431 are used as voltage sensors, 2 for each bank, along with logic to keep the A and B supercap banks between a max and min voltage. The bank connected to the output is isolated from the supply charger by the relay, and thus will have leakage current determined by the relay -- zero for electromechanical and generally less than one uA for SSR.

The supercaps are placed in series. This circuit employs the ALD8100XX supercap balancing quad mosfet chip, so one chip for each 10v or so of supply assuming 2.7v supercaps. The modules can be placed in series to generate 10,20,30V supplies as needed.

The output will vary between the min and max voltages, a follow-on regulator can make a precise supply voltage.

The output voltage is truly floating.

Supercap PSU.jpg
v-sensor.png
supercap-module.png

This board uses the NXP PSMN075-100MSE MOSFET to implement the relays -- datasheet indicates 10nA leakage current typical. I've used the TL431 and an NPN to make the +5V logic supply. On the left are the 4 TL431 based voltage sensors. Lower middle are the 4 logic chips. Above these to the right are the MOSFETs, and above to the left the series regulator.

<JAB.R> Dual Bank board.png

Jonathan,

Got some of these boards working yet?

I really want to try this setup:

R2R DA M1 Ultracap powered build | Page 8 | Head-Fi.org

AND don't want to use timers.

DIY'ers of the world are waiting on you!

Greg in Mississippi

Hi Greg, I'm incorporating these designs into projects I am working on. Each project has specific requirements that involve some degree of customization. You are free to take the schematic and have boards made for DIY purposes, or customize to your own requirements, but I'm not able to "productize" this at the moment.

The intention is to present a general approach that can be customized for specific needs.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.