Transformer powering two circuits

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I wasn't sure which sub-forum to put this question in, so I apologize if it's in the wrong one.

Anyway, my question has to do with using a toroidal transformer to power an amp and a DAC. I wanted to put my Cavalli-Kan Kumisa III and Gamma-1 in the same enclosure, but I'm not quite sure the best way to power both of them. I need one toroidal transformer (15V/30V) to power the amp. Each of the secondary pairs are used on the board (link). Is there anyway that I could also pull 15VAC from the transformer? I know the secondaries would have to be connected in parallel, so could I use a small circuit that lets me run the secondaries to the amp as-is, then get the 15VAC by connected them in parallel to a voltage regulator circuit?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It appears that each secondary is routed to a rectifier/capacitor set on the amp board to provide some + and - DC voltage. That means the secondaries are not 'free floating' and cannot be just taken for another supply.

However, if the DAC would run on the + and - supply of the amp, you could use just that, possibly with a regulator in between.

But if you have no experience with these things, it's better to get a small addtional xformer for the DAC and a slightly larger box ;)

Jan

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.