Best capacitors for power supplies update

Andrew, I'm not sure I understand where you would put the 0.6mm wire - do you mean using 0.6mm wire between the transformer's secondary AC output and the AC input of the amp board PCB?
the transformers flexible outputs are twisted to reach the rectifier.
The twisted triplet from the rectifier to the smoothing capacitors can be the same diameters.
After the smoothing capacitor, the AC and spike part is much reduced. The DC current is pretty low and I find that twisted triplet of 0.6mm diameter hook up wire is cold enough, for all the <100W amplifiers, even for two 100W channels running off the one PSU with ±40mF of smoothing.

A high spike current with the same Irms as a sinewave heats the wire (or resistor) more. The heat is proportional to I²R, a doubled current for 50% duty cycle has more heat than the undoubled current for 100% duty. yet supplies the same power.

Is there any acknowledgement, to call it somehow, for the thread's original question: best capacitors for power supplies?

My friend's Luxman 5M20 needs a capacitor update, and the original ones no longer exist. They were United Chemicon 15000uF 63v screw terminals type.

Siemens/Epcos, which is a reliable brand, seems not to be in stock anywhere. There are newer good options, like BHC and Kendeil, but no feedback. Mundorf's screw types are too expensive.

Suggestions?

Carlos,

Digikey have stock of 3 caps in the 15mF/63 volt range B41560 ($21 ea), B41456 (U$17ea) and B41554 (U$46ea) - they are all a better replacement than the original United Chem but not sure of the different sizes - naturally, the higher priced B41554 would be regarded as the better caps but in practice, the B41456 just sound a bit heavier in the bass, appearing perhaps a bit 'slower' in the sound - not much in it that a bit of tweaking elsewhere could compensate for - all these caps have much bigger 'punch' than you'll get with the United Chems and probably never need to replace them

In my opinion, the BHCs are really good caps and seem to excel at midrange presentation so appear to be a bit thin in the bass - this might suit the 5M20, but I'm a bit doubtful

Kendeils are well respected caps but I don't have any first hand experience - I think 'umut' had some in his listing awhile back

I hope this is of use to you ....

Thanks, James. Your comments are extremely useful.

At the time of its release, the Luxman 5M20 was considered one of the best power amps in the world. Its parts were hand picked and the United Chem caps certainly were picked for its qualities, not their price.

I agree that now the Epcos sound like a great option, in any of their types.

The amp is not mine, and I'm helping a friend with that. It's quite likely he will pick the Epcos, I think.

I don't think you could go far wrong with any of those Epcos caps - I was going to suggest maybe increasing the 15mF up to 22mF (if they'll fit, etc, etc ) but I doubt much advantage - if the budget would stretch that far, I would suggest going for the Sikorel (long life) ones, the B41554 - these are similar, maybe replacement, to the B41550's, I think

I haven't been much of a fan of the Mundorfs - either far too expensive or too fat in the bass - I would probably use those F&Ts which sound similar to me and much more reasonable price and just increase the voltage one step.

There used to be quite a few good USA caps that'll also do the job - they don't seem to attract much interest here on this site for some reason - not sure what's available these days as the names seem to change a bit

Is there a simple explanation to different capacitor sizes (physical)? I'm finally assembling my chip amp and using 10 000uF caps for power supply. When ordering the missing parts, I found a deal for Epcos (B41456-S8109-M1) caps and got them too with Panasonic caps. The size of the Epcos caps is massive, about 51x80mm compared to Panasonic's 35x60mm. Seems like I can fit the Epcos caps to my chassis so maybe I'll give them a try.

I should confess I am trying to distance myself from 4 Epcos B41560 63V caps which at 110mm are too tall for my 3U case. Doh. Am looking at Vishay 101 now, almost same spec and lower ESL with 80mm can length. Just 50% more expensive.....

Anybody got any experience with Vishay 101s? Any reason to avoid using these?

Last edited:
You can use the smaller B 41456 instead - or use those Vishays - or anything else that fits for that matter - Panasonics are small and First Watt uses them...

They don't have to mount vertical - you can put them on their side with no problems at all - Rifa's like to be mounted vertically if passing a lot of current thru them but for typical amplifier loads, they too can be safely mounted on their side - you see this all the time, nothing new here.

B41456 unfortunately are Compact line, not Sikorel. Different chemistry.

you see this all the time, nothing new here.

Please be careful what you are suggesting.
It can be done but requires special attention and it is not recommended.

From the datasheet

Do not mount the capacitor with the terminals
(safety vent) upside down.

And from the TDK/EPCOS "Aluminum Electrolytic Capacitors - General technical information"

11 Mounting
11.1 Mounting positions of capacitors with screw terminals
Screw terminal capacitors must not be mounted with terminals facing down unless otherwise
specified. The recommended mounting positions are shown in figure 23.
In case of horizontal mounting, the safety vent in the cover disk should be at the "12 o clock" position.
Nevertheless, upright mounting is recommended. Mounting positions other than recommended
may result in serious damage in the application during operation due to possible electrolyte
leakage in the case of venting.

And the pdfs for easy reference
http://www.mouser.com/ds/2/400/B41456_B41458-525180.pdf
https://en.tdk.eu/download/530704/5...62122e90c/pdf-generaltechnicalinformation.pdf

Ah, thanks Dimitri - Yes, vent at 12 o'clock - there used to be special clips for horizontal cap mounting

The 'life estimate' is a bit misleading - for these B41560s the 3,000hrs is given for the elevated temp of 105*C so if the amp has enough ventilation and keeps the caps below 40*C, the 3,000hrs life will be extended by many times this - each type of cap has a design factor about this buried in the specs somewhere - mil specs are generally highly underated in this regard, hence the higher cost.

Nearly all these 'screw-tops' are built for commercial or industrial use and not for 'hifi use' and the published specs can be widely different as most manufacturers use different testing/rating systems for different 'end-use' purposes - this is why same/similar caps as per spec sheets caps can sound and behave so differently - nothing really nefarious about it, just different designed purposes, mostly economic, minimum life expectancy or physical size these days