Need transformer output resistance of PSUD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm learning (a little) using PSUD2

PSUD2

I have it working OK under Wine/Linux

One difficulty I'm having is that PSUD2 wants a resistance figure for the output windings on the transformer, and very few transformer specs give this.

It is more common to see "regulation" specified for a transformer.

Is there a direct and/or simple equation linking regulation and resistance?

BugBear

There are other effects included in the regulation, so you'd have to directly measure
the winding resistance with a Kelvin low-Ohms meter, or ask the mfr.
DIY Audio Projects - Hi-Fi Blog for DIY Audiophiles: Simple Low Resistance Measurement

So I can't design using the normal spec. data? That's disappointing, to say the least.

Wait a minute!! The web site says:

>> Tools/Utilities: Transformer off-load voltage calculator, transformer source impedance calculator.

Which sound just what's (most likely) wanted.

Is this a separate application or a menu item? I've looked on my install, and can't see anything like this.

BugBear

Last edited:

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
> Can anyone find this functionality?

Attachments

• bugbear-1.gif
    bugbear-1.gif
    15.9 KB · Views: 156
OK, thread drift time.

Whilst PSUD2 gives me a good way into looked at power supplies, it's a bit of an electronic backwater.

I'm assuming I could get the same analysis done using SPICE (or similar), which can also handle much more complex circuits, including active components, so it's a road that will ultimately take me further.

So (he said with trepidation), can anyone recommend a good tutorial on using SPICE under Linux?

And (followup) can anyone point me at existing CRCRC psu simulations under SPICE, as a starting point?

BugBear

PRR

Joined 2003
Paid Member
I would not 100% agree with what I say, but meaning to stir some counter-points.

> get the same analysis done using SPICE

Ah, if the problem truly fits PSUD (and most folks don't use it well), it is FAR quicker and more informative to use PSUD. The connections are mostly drawn. The key points are tagged. No plain SPICE will tell you (unless you probe) that you have megaWatts of heat in a milliWatt part; PSUD calls-out peak rectifier abuse.

> including active components

No. But do you need that? PSUD models the raw dumb supply and says you have 10V ripple. Your Super-Whamo regulator touts 60dB of ripple reduction. You have 10mV output ripple.

Don't over-think, *build*. Yes, pre-simulation is useful for a mission to Mars (oops), and for preliminary estimates. It can instead give "exact" answers pre-build for what THD might be if ALL practical details are perfect (or perfectly modeled), which they aren't.

But thinking does not replace building.

> using SPICE under Linux?

A) You are using a Program. What difference what O/S lays under it?

B) In fact MS Windows fostered a heap of SPICE Suites which have profited and ripened well. You don't want to deal with SPICE. It is a black box which takes cryptic punch-cards and outputs more punch-cards and arcane data. A WYSIWYG schematics editor saves MUCH tedium numbering and collating nodes. A GUI Probe program (and results reflected to schematic editor) puts the SPICE output in human form.

There are suites for unix. The ones I have played with did not seem well-integrated like the for-sale Windows sim suites became by 1999. I know many people do use the unix tools.

The alternative: at least one Parts Vendor (DigiKey? Mouser?) has a free and reasonably useful sim tool which runs in your *web browser*. It does need a fairly recent browser. Wonking inside a browser seemed cramped to me; also less-intuitive. However it does make choice of O/S very liberal. (As a "bonus", it generates a BOM of the parts you used and offers to place an order.)

I view PSUD as a sort of "dedicated" SPICE, a bit like the old 5th generation programming languages; they were great, but only at what they did, which was limited.

On Spice under Linux;

If my only purpose for a computer was to run SPICE, I would (as you imply) use whatever OS the best SPICE ran on. However, since I use my computer for many (many!!) things, I am already committed to Linux, so I would need my SPICE environment to also run under Linux (or at least play nice with WINE).

(and I bear you no ill will for playing Devil's Advocate, thanks for your thoughts)

BugBear

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.