Best way to use 2 coil choke

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I followed this article from EmissionLabs and tried using recommended option 5 (scroll to the very bottom of the page) in a PP amp with Lundahl LL1673. I ended up with a significant buzz that showed up only when I connected inputs of both channels directly or through a preamp. The buzz disappeared completely after I connected both coils in a serial connection as per option 4 in this article.

I keep researching this subject and just came across another article. It's in Russian but you can translate it with Google. I would greatly appreciate any experience/opinions on these two options from this article:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The article claims that its possible to use a a choke in applications with significantly higher current than the choke was designed for due to connecting coils "end-to-end".

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The cause of hum is clearly in the part of the circuit you didn't show.

About the 2 russian schematics: both are bad. The chokes here can not work as chokes but as lossy transformers, first coil transforms ripple current to the second so they can not show their high impedance. Only resistances and leakage inductance remains. The first is even worse since DC current can make core saturating while in the second one DC excitation is cancelled.

Last edited:
diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
I have used extra windings to cancel DC flux. The windings don't require the same number of turns if you have a separate source of DC.

My view was using closed core output transformers in a single ended output stage. Another view would be versatility or cost.

well, this common-mode connection is recommended by Lundahl,
so it should work... :cool:

The inductance is the same as in the normal series connection.
i have a LL1673 in my EL83-SE-Amp in this common-mode
connection and it works perfectly, no hum whatsoever. :D
and the measured ripple voltages match the calculations in PSUDII

...but be sure you have no ground connection before the choke,
cause the potential before and after the choke is not the same.

Attachments

• Lundahl choke LL1673.pdf
    20.6 KB · Views: 92
M_Balou said:
well, this common-mode connection is recommended by Lundahl,
so it should work...
That is not the classic common-mode connection, but a re-ordered series connection. It may give a small reduction in common-mode noise due to leakage inductance, so is slightly better than the normal series connection. It is quite different from the auto-transformer connection mentioned in post 1. Can we decide what this thread is about?

That is not the classic common-mode connection, but a re-ordered series connection. It may give a small reduction in common-mode noise due to leakage inductance, so is slightly better than the normal series connection. It is quite different from the auto-transformer connection mentioned in post 1. Can we decide what this thread is about?

:Ohno: ...eh, sorry, my fault, i thought this thread is about that the OP
has a hum-problem with his amp and is asking for help...
... but of course it´s much more fun to discuss some
obscure russian schematics....

and you´re right, the LL1673 is not a common-mode-choke
(...whats "Erbsenzähler" in english ??...):dunno::p

...i´m out....

My intention was to discuss the best way to utilize double coil choke, like LL1673, not the hum problem. The schematics in the article look very interesting but it's not clear to me if they are reasonable at all. So I was hoping that someone had experience with this.

I think chokes in PSU are used for suppressing the ripple and as a current source.
- The second schematics should probably suppress the ripples very efficiently as the alternating current created by flux in the second coil goes against the remaining ripple current after the cap. I am bad at math and theory, it seems that there should be a combination of L and C tuned for a certain frequency?
- However, this schematic will probably not work as a current source as the DC flux is canceled by the second coil and no energy is stored.

diyAudio Moderator
Joined 2008
Paid Member
So I was hoping that someone had experience with this.
I have used a dual bobbin core type inductor, windings in series on each leg of an AC heater supply as a combined ballast, soft start, mains harmonic filter and HF common mode filter. I would probably do the same with a balanced DC supply if I didn't already have a pair.

If it were me I'd look at the standard configurations and see if they look useful, split or not.

it seems that there should be a combination of L and C tuned for a certain frequency?
I don't know that tuning for the ripple fundamental would always be the best use of the choke, or indeed necessary. Will it work for you in a choke input supply?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.