core air gap maked own way question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi I have a problem im designing a step up smps and i calculated that i need an etd39 based inductor witm 1mm air gap. But unfortunately the cores with air gap are much more expensive than the same without that gap. So my question is : Can i make a gap by putting a dielectric material between the two parts of a core?
please help me.
sorry for my english, im from Poland.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2010
Hi I have a problem im designing a step up smps and i calculated that i need an etd39 based inductor witm 1mm air gap. But unfortunately the cores with air gap are much more expensive than the same without that gap. So my question is : Can i make a gap by putting a dielectric material between the two parts of a core?
please help me.
sorry for my english, im from Poland.
Certainly you can do that!
For a gap of 1mm total insert 0.5mm isolating sheet (plastic, paper, rubber, whatever is non-conductive) between outer legs. This is the standard method doing prototypes!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.