AC main power to high. - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 24th May 2016, 10:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default AC main power to high.

I just built a Tubelab SE amplifier, with 300B output tubes. It was designed to work with 3.5K output transformers, at 365 volts B+ voltage, with 120 volts AC main power.
However, my AC main power is up to 124 volts AC in the morning. And I've seen it get as low as 120.5 volts at night. This give me a swing of about plus 15 volts on my B+ voltage.
Maybe I'm being anal, but this really bothers me. Some suggested getting a regulated UPS. Then someone else said that a ups would introduce noise into the system.
I'm looking at the Tripp lite, Smart LCD 1500, regulated UPS. It says it protects against spikes and surges, Cleans up noise, and give a regulated 120 volts AC without using its batteries.
What is your opinion? Should I be worrying about the +/- 15 volts on my B+ voltage? Will a regulated ups help or hurt things?
I wish I could afford a PS Audio Perfect Wave AC power regenerator, but that's not in the cards right now. So what do you all think? Thank you all.
Old 24th May 2016, 11:27 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
A good design will take into consideration changes in power voltages. The heater voltage has a 10% tolerance as will the HT. If it is an issue, redesign it to cope with the changes.
No need for a UPS.
Old 24th May 2016, 12:00 PM   #3
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

120.5 to 124 is only +2.9%

your mains probably has a tolerance of 6%
Do you hear any/many others shouting about variations in B+?
Old 24th May 2016, 12:21 PM   #4
AllenB is offline AllenB  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guarnera View Post
What is your opinion? Should I be worrying about the +/- 15 volts on my B+ voltage?
Worrying? Hardly, there are better things to worry about. Tubelab has this sorted.
Old 1st June 2016, 10:01 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

A 'bucking transformer' is another possible solution. See the below linked informative page.

Bucking Xfmrs

Hide this!Advertise here!