Soft start question - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th March 2016, 10:46 AM   #11
diyAudio Member

Default If this is of any help (DELAY)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jean-paul View Post
Hi Mooly, the 4 x 10D-11 devices right from the small 12V transformer are thermistors/PTCs.

Some useful info to change the delay time:
When the two wires are shorted to turn the unit on there is a immediate click followed by the click of both relays engaging approx. 1.5 seconds later. I will voltage test this to confirm exactly what voltages and when they are delivered to the transformer and post the results.
Old 12th March 2016, 11:07 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Default 115 volt vs 230

Quote:
Are you sure you bought the 115V version ? I see there exist several versions of this board. Some are for both 115 and 230V some are explicitly not. Some use momentary switches and some newer ones need normal switches. Some have a bug that they don't start. They all look the same !

This one speaks about the need for a normal switch instead of a momentary switch.

Class A Power Amplifier Soft Start Delay Temperature Protection Board 220V New | eBay

This one speaks of a bug that is does not always start and they changed it.

Douk Class A Amplifier Power Soft Start Delay Temperature Protection Board 220V | eBay

It would be best to ask the seller for a connection diagram and an explanation what switch you need.
There is a bridge on the back side of the board to be soldered for the required voltage and this is bridged for the 115 volt. It appears that this uses the momentary switch at least it works in that fashion, the only issue is the lack of instant on off of the momentary, it needs to be on for approx 10 seconds before it will turn off That said I have can't comment on the performance as I haven't used it except to get it to function, when I am up and running I will mess with the thermal protection circuit and I will leave some feedback on the whole affair once I have some results.
Old 12th March 2016, 11:57 AM   #13
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Less Opinion View Post
When the two wires are shorted to turn the unit on there is a immediate click followed by the click of both relays engaging approx. 1.5 seconds later. I will voltage test this to confirm exactly what voltages and when they are delivered to the transformer and post the results.
First click is the relay switching via the thermistors to limit the inrush current. Second click is the second relay bridging the thermistors. Can't be that both relays are switching on at the same time ! It can be that the first relay switches off however as the second one bridges the thermistors.

Please confirm that the unit is on 115V from the start. That you haven't used a switch before it I mean. It should be "always" connected to 115V.

* As said before: you can change the delay time.
Old 12th March 2016, 12:29 PM   #14
Mooly is offline Mooly  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator

Quote:
Hi Mooly, the 4 x 10D-11 devices right from the small 12V transformer are thermistors/PTCs.

Thanks Jean. That makes more sense now.
Old 8th January 2017, 01:48 PM   #15
Liliya is offline Liliya  Norway
diyAudio Member

I have exact the same unit shown in post 1 in this thread. Its function confuse me. I have done the following test:
1. For control, I first connected the two 220 V out on the PCB to my digital voltmeter.
2. I then conneted the two 220 V in on the PCB to my mains. Without doing anything else my digital voltmeter show 230 V AC (?) No light on thered led at this point.
3. With a momentary switch connected and pulled for a short time(3 second), the red led light up. I hear the click from the relay The digital voltmeter still show 230 V AC.
4. Pulling the momentary switch for another 3 second, the red ledlight turns off. BUT THE DIGITAL VOLTMETER STILL READ 230 V AC(???)
5. So, nothing happens at the 220 V output connection when I pull the momentary switch the second time. I can hear (and feel with my fingertip) that the scond relay clicks This confuses me. I expected that at this point, the 220 V out connection should now be breaked. In pratice this means that the transformer in my amplifier will be connected to 230 V AC all the time as long as this unit is connected to my mains. I intended to use this unit in a classe A amplifier. This amplifier draw 1.8 A all the time it is connected to the mains. My conclusion is that this unit is not the right match in a classe A amplifier? Am I right?

Eivind S
Old 8th January 2017, 02:23 PM   #16
wwenze is offline wwenze  Singapore
diyAudio Member

Did you measure the output while open-circuit? If yes then expect the full 230V whether soft-start or not. The voltage drops momentarily when the amp's capacitors are getting charged but once charged it will go back to full 230V.
Old 8th January 2017, 02:30 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Yes, the test I describe was without any connection to a transformer or a condenser bank.

So if I connect the unit into a amplifiers transformer and condenser bank, the 220 V out will be breaked the second time I pull the momentary switch?

Eivind S
Old 10th January 2017, 10:42 AM   #18
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:

Quote:
First click is the relay switching via the thermistors to limit the inrush current. Second click is the second relay bridging the thermistors. Can't be that both relays are switching on at the same time ! It can be that the first relay switches off however as the second one bridges the thermistors.

Please confirm that the unit is on 115V from the start. That you haven't used a switch before it I mean. It should be "always" connected to 115V.

* As said before: you can change the delay time.
I think this is correct.
The transformer is powered ON all the time.
Clicking the control switch turns on the first relay to swend power to the Live OUTPUT terminal via the soft start resistance and starts the timer delay.
After the delay has expired the second relay bypasses the added resistances.

It's the same way I have wired up my soft starts.
I also had temperature switches that turn off the first relay if the heatsink get too hot. Power goes off until the heatsink/s cool and then turns ON again after a few minutes of cooling. There is no latch. The remote turn on control avoids having to run high voltage wiring around the inside of the enclosure.
Old 10th January 2017, 10:46 AM   #19
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liliya View Post
Yes, the test I describe was without any connection to a transformer or a condenser bank.

So if I connect the unit into a amplifiers transformer and condenser bank, the 220 V out will be breaked the second time I pull the momentary switch?

Eivind S
The added resistance of the Power Thermistors has almost no effect when no current is being drawn.

A couple of measurements would help confirm the operation.
Disconnect all terminals, no power !
Measure the resistance between the two Neutral terminals.
Measure the resistance between the two Live terminals.

Power ON. But control OFF.
Measure the voltages at the switched Live and Neutral terminals.
Control to ON.
Do you hear the second relay clicking to ON?
Measure the voltages at the switched Live and Neutral terminals.

The time delay between the two relays clicking ON could be quite short. I use 100ms to 200ms and the dual click/delay is only just audible.

Last edited by AndrewT; 10th January 2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 10th January 2017, 08:23 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Since I for the time beeing build an Aleph J for a friend of mine, I connected the Soft Start to the V3 powerbank (no amplifiers connected). I got this measurement:

Picture 1-2:Connected to my mains, the voltage at 220V out on Soft Start rised slowly up to 130V AC, where it stopped. The blue leds on V3 started to light up very soon afte I connected the mains. At 130V AC I measured 2x12 V DC on V3.

Picture 3. The momentary control ON. The red led on the Soft Start light up.
Voltage on 220V out was now 228.5 V AC(=mains voltage this evening). Voltage on V3: 25.5 V DC.

Picture 4-5: The momentary control OFF: Very fast the voltage on 220 out on Soft Start fell down to 170/60 V AC. After 3-4 minutes it is down to aprox. 130 V AC.

I have not done the measurement you asked for, Andrew(thanks for your help) since I think that connecting the Soft the way I have done, shows how it work. But again I must ask: Since the AC volt never fall down to zero, is this unit a "good idea" to connect to a classe A amplifier with a constant current about 1.8 A??
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1100158.jpg (986.9 KB, 181 views)
File Type: jpg P1100159.jpg (759.7 KB, 146 views)
File Type: jpg P1100161.jpg (770.4 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg P1100163.jpg (726.0 KB, 125 views)
File Type: jpg P1100164.jpg (699.0 KB, 124 views)

Last edited by Liliya; 10th January 2017 at 08:27 PM.

Hide this!Advertise here!