Small PS

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its not easy to drop one AC voltage to another AC voltage. If the load on the supply is constant then a resistor can work as long as the heat is manageable. A capacitor used as a 'watt-less dropper' can also work. Both solutions are only good for constant and known current draws though.

Best solution if you have bought the wrong transformer is simply to bite the bullet and get a more suitable one.

I havent purchased anything yet. The supply is my 115/120 house voltage, as constant as they get I guess. This is actually the optional fan supply voltage and I want it to use a pre-made speaker protection board. I guess as small bridge and a cap would work but need some help stringing them together.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
You could always make a small regulator running of the main voltage rails.

You have a 22 vac transformer... so that's giving you 30 vdc approx.

You need a 15 vac transformer which would give 21 vdc approx.

Possible solution. Use a simple regulator fed from the 30 vdc supply to give around 21 vdc. Feed the 21 volts DC into the protection circuit board bypassing any rectifiers etc.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.