Mr. Jung's ultra-low noise VREF - the GLED431

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have made some measurements on LEDs, both noise and temperature behavior.
Bought also Walt's LED type, but not tested yet.
I must first complete my preamp designs, wrt 1/f and some phase noise stuff.

Bias source was a NiMH battery 14V, bias resistor is in the filename of the traces.
The red trace is 47 Ohms instead of a LED. Results in slightly less than 1 nV/rt Hz,
so that seems OK. The battery adds no noise.

Attachments

• Led_tk.pdf
    44.8 KB · Views: 242
  • LEDs.png
    LEDs.png
    43.1 KB · Views: 1,076
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Notes on temperature could have gotten lost on my website, dependent upon how one accessed the GLED431 write up. Sorry about this.

See added comment at the bottom.

Jack, your noise plots are interesting. Do you have an addl reference plot with a 10 ohm R, or a shorted input condition of the preamp?

Thnx.

Attached is the chart before the two reference values were "RMS's" with the AP Baseline. The amplifier averages ~1.2nV/RtHz (I am embarrassed to quote such a high figure with Gerhard present :) )

Attachments

• jung_gled_with AP Baseline.png
    jung_gled_with AP Baseline.png
    29 KB · Views: 1,015
Attached is the chart before the two reference values were "RMS's" with the AP Baseline. The amplifier averages ~1.2nV/RtHz (I am embarrassed to quote such a high figure with Gerhard present :) )

Thnx Jack. Yes, it is very difficult getting significantly lower, and the RSS extractions always left me somewhat queasy. I suspect only a setup like Gerhard's can really hone in on the actual GLED431 noise. My best guess that it is somewhere twixt 1-2nV/Rt-Hz.

An aside here. Has anyone else noticed that ultra-low Z active ckts seem to show lower noise than a bare diode, LED or other types? My gut instinct is that the low Z helps keep spurious noise down.

Walt Jung

I think that low Z is a precondition, but probably not the cause itself.
I you look at the brown & light blue traces in the plot above, the trace
with the 1K resistor has more noise than the one with 2K bias. The 1K
has nearly twice the diode current and the diode resistance should
therefore be lower. Maybe there is an optimum at even lower current for
these small LEDs?

For high voltage Zeners in true avalanche mode the slope resistance
is even smaller, but the noise is awful.

I remember that for Schottkies the slope resistance has only half-thermal
noise, like it was at 150 Kelvin or so. I don't remember if that's true
for ordinary diodes or even LEDs in forward direction.

FWIW, here is a PDF version of the GLED431 circuit with relevant comments added. The last section is really important if one is to get the best temp stability. To do this it is necessary to encapsulate the parts in a tube with an RTV surround. Cheap, very simple, albeit messy before setup, alas. ;)

Walt Jung

That link no longer is operative. I tried to upload the correct PDF version here, but this system won't allow a 1.5meg filesize (???). What a frustration...

One user did email me, and I am sending him a PDF direct.

Walt Jung

PS: The GLED431 threshold is mentioned as being 5mA, but actually higher currents can help lower the noise. Try for 7-8mA. The reason for this is that with the GLED running at 4mA, the ZTX951 PNP only gets 1mA with 5mA supplied, not the best. So running the same current (4/4) in the LED and the PNP should help out, noise-wise that is.

Last edited:
Here is a LINK to the GLED note from December 2015, found on waltsblog using the Internet Wayback Machine.

I also sent it to .pdf , which I have attached below.

_

No, that "Wayback" link is NOT correct, as it lacks additional notes I had made on scaling and thermal isolation. There are so many holes in those so-called "Archives" it makes me very, very sad to see people referencing it.

I'll send anyone who requests it the real GLED431 PDF.

Walt Jung

Last edited:
No, that "Wayback" link is NOT correct, as it lacks additional notes I had made on scaling and thermal isolation. There are so many holes in those so-called "Archives" it makes me very, very sad to see people referencing it.

I'll send anyone who requests it the real GLED431 PDF.

Walt Jung

Mark Johnson kindly shrank the GLED431 PDF in question down to a much more reasonable size.

Thank you Mark, I'm tickled that this makes the info more accessible.

Walt Jung

Attachments

• GLED431_An Ultra Low Noise LED Reference Cell _Walt's Blog 2014_092418_r.pdf
    85 KB · Views: 850
Walt might have been expecting that users would drive his GLED431 with a very high impedance (like a constant current source), in which case the Zout of the GLED431 is not so important. So I ran a simulation of that case, shown below. Bias current in the simulated GLED431 is 7mA. The output VREF remains constant despite rather large changes in the applied voltage.

_

Mark have you simulated this circuit regarding temperature diviations from example 10 to 60 degrees?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.