Transformer coil for Naim 140 PSU advice

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I believe I am in need of two 25-0-25 transformer coils one for each channel of my project. I have been shopping around namely Mouser Electronics - Electronic Components Distributor for torodial transformer coils and have found some, ha ha! I would like to invest sufficient monies in my PSU to insure this portion of my build is a keeper so to avoid throwing good money after bad I am in need of sound advise on the subject. I would like some specs to ponder as I work thru this project but I would also like specific suggestions such as buy this dummy and don't ask questions.

My power source will be 120 volt AC (from coal). My Questions are as follows.
1. The 25-0-25 will be the output voltage to my board (power rating) meaning 25 volts DC to my PSU board? And why the 25-0-25 tag as apposed to just 25v
2. Primary voltage would be source voltage, 120v AC?
3. Secondary voltage would be the 25 volt (DC or AC ?) of the coil to the PSU?
4. Secondary current would be the amperage output of the secondary coil to the PSU?
5. Is there a classification for transformers used in audio equipment, better shielding etc. as apposed to a battery charger for example.
6. I reiterate, I will not in any way be insulted if those of you of proper wit just straight out say, buy this because I said so!

Muchly appreciated :worship:

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 122
  • 3 WIRING.jpg
    3 WIRING.jpg
    337.3 KB · Views: 105
  • 4 WIRING.jpg
    4 WIRING.jpg
    150.5 KB · Views: 104
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
My power source will be 120 volt AC (from coal). My Questions are as follows.
1. The 25-0-25 will be the output voltage to my board (power rating) meaning 25 volts DC to my PSU board? And why the 25-0-25 tag as apposed to just 25v

You really need to read up on the basics of power supplies.

Transformers always produce AC.

When you rectify (convert AC to DC) the DC voltage is normally around 1.4 times the AC voltage. So a 25 volt AC winding would give around 35 volts DC after the diode bridge rectifier.

25-0-25 means the equivalent of a 50 volt winding with a tap in the middle. So measured from the centre tap there is 25 volts above and below on the top and bottom connections.

When you make a power supply from a 25-0-25 transformer you will get a 35-0-35 volt DC supply. Measured from the '0' you have PLUS 35 volts DC and MINUS 35 volts DC on the bridge rectifier.

2. Primary voltage would be source voltage, 120v AC?

Yes, whatever your mains voltage is.

3. Secondary voltage would be the 25 volt (DC or AC ?) of the coil to the PSU?

As above. Transformers are always AC. They don't 'do' DC. Its up to you to know what DC voltage your amp requires and work back from that to derive a suitable transformer.

4. Secondary current would be the amperage output of the secondary coil to the PSU?

Secondary current is the current available into a resistive load. The load determines how much current flows. More typically your kit should suggest a suitable transformer rating which will be in the form 'VA' or 'volt/amps'. Typically a 160 to 300VA rating for a modest amplifier.

5. Is there a classification for transformers used in audio equipment, better shielding etc. as apposed to a battery charger for example.

Not really. There are fully encapsulated toroids but these come at a premium price and seem little used.

RE: A transformer coil. AndrewT, I am honored that you would turn to me for advise on this matter. It's a chunk of iron with usually copper wire coiled around it, this will consist of two or more coils wound around the iron that make up the primary and secondary winding/coils, The number of turns to determine the end voltage output. That's about all I got for now.
P/S I hope your sense of humor is intact. and hope not to annoy with my elementary inquires. Mooly did clarify most of my misguided thoughts on the subject. At times I ask things that I am pretty sure I know the answer to but confirmation from a educated source gives me confidence to quote said information without the fear of sounding stupid.
Yours truly, David

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.