15V power supply output voltage help

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I'm very new to DIY electronics, but am learning a lot here.

I've assembled a simple 15V bipolar power supply using 7815 and 7915. I've double checked my wiring, but for some reason I get only +10.3V and -9.4V at the output.

I'm using a 15V transformer. Its AC output reads fine at 16.2V (no load), and after the rectifier it's 22.9V.

I've attached the schematic. Have I done something dumb?

Attachments

• PSU.jpg
    PSU.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 194
Yup, I did something dumb XD. No dual windings!

Thank you very much everyone! I feel like a dumbass, but learning...
Not dumb at all.

It's the technical language that needs to be translated into technical but understandable information.

A dual polarity power supply is TWO power supplies that are strung together in some manner.

To get a dual/two output one needs a dual/two inputs.
That is probably the bit that got overlooked.

If your loading is low, then post4 gives a good solution that saves having to buy another transformer.
for upto 250mAdc from each polarity, that would be perfect.
It could also supply upto 500mAdc with some loss of performance. I would not try to get 1Adc from the half wave rectifier. The maximum continuous DC current available from your 4Aac transformer if you want it to run cool, is about 1Adc.

If you draw 500mAdc from both polarities continuously, then the transformer sees that as a continuous current draw of 1A. That is already @ ~50% of the maximum continuous capability of the transformer.

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.