Isolated sub chassis - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving
Old 17th November 2015, 02:57 PM   #1
Bibio is offline Bibio  Scotland
diyAudio Member
Default Isolated sub chassis

i'm in the process of designing my new casework and i have a question about power supply PE and component COM (ground).

if the chassis has PE and i put an isolated sub chassis for the electronics (headphone amp and RPi) do i still need to connect COM to the isolated sub chassis?

the only cabling that will be going into the case is from AC power. the RPi will be via wifi and then straight to headphone amp so no external phono connections. other things such as USB sockets and headphone socket will be isolated from the main chassis.
Old 17th November 2015, 03:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member
Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
As a rule, any metalwork unless doubly insulated must be earthed.
Support for Flying Mole Class D, Allen & Heath, Valve amps, older designs & 2CVs.
Old 17th November 2015, 03:38 PM   #3
Bibio is offline Bibio  Scotland
diyAudio Member
isolated 'plate' will be on non conductive standoffs. casework will be made from stainless steel.

or do you think it would be better just to stick too two cases, one for the PS and the other for the electronics with DC power via umbilical?

Hide this!Advertise here!