dc/dc isolated transformer

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi ,

sorry I know its a bit offtopic but I have a question about isolation transformers (DC/DC 2w)

We have a FPGA board that needs a clock..of course we are feeding the clock using a low noise LDO

However one of our engineers is proposing to add a DC/DC isolation transformer before the clock to reduce further the noise.

Is that a valid approach ?

Your term 'DC/DC isolation transformer' is a little confusing. Does it just mean 'a pulse transformer' ? In which case yes its a good idea, it helps to avoid groundplane noise being coupled into the clock signal. Essentially, with a transformer the clock can be sent from the oscillator in balanced form - the transformer at the FPGA converts it back to single ended.

However should your term actually mean 'isolated DC/DC converter', its not a good idea as most such modules are noisy. They're the last thing you'll want on your board if noise reduction is the aim.

since transformers don't work at DC the term DC/DC 2W refers to power conversion SMPS then the added "transformer" term refers to galvanic isolation.
can it help? sure, it can also make things worse. DC Isolation implies corrupt grounding so differential outputs with a carefully selected low noise SMPS can work with proper PCB layouts etc.

Last edited:
not sure what the target ripple and noise spec is, why not call that vendors app engineer ?they can suggest the best solution for your needs> they do have some very low noise stuff. bread boarding is suggested with the clock circuitry then look at the clock spectrum.

Last edited:
Powering a clock from a local SMPS doesn't look to me to be a good idea. The spec says 14mV output ripple but doesn't give a frequency.
there are good ones, ive designed one to bias a VCO varactor diode before, in a STB TV tuner!
is that one good, IDK I didn't study it. he needs to leave it up to the responsible engineer, its not just the converter. LDO, isolated grounds, and diff outputs all working together

Last edited:
Yes - if low noise is the aim then 'better the devil you know' says to me design it yourself so you'll have some idea what its emissions are going to be. A varactor bias supply will be an extremely low power one, far lower than this one (1W) being suggested here. Lower power means less noise, in general.

If the engineer's original aim is to have an isolated ground so he can couple the clock in to the FPGA without worrying about groundplane noise, I think the medicine's probably worse than the disease. Better to use an isolation transformer (bal-SE at the FPGA) for just the clock signal I think.

FPGAs themselves have fairly high jitter (in my limited understanding) whether PLLs are used or not. So your engineer should not just focus on the jitter on the incoming clock but figure out what the output jitter is too.

If you need a high frequency clock, put it very close to the FPGA and use a low noise regulator. Wenzel has this suggestion for lowest noise - Finesse Voltage Regulator Noise! |

if the DC converter offers lower ripple and noise including CM, than the FPGA ground / power, its possible, but it can be easy to mess it up too. unless the converter mention low noise I would keep looking. It might behoove you get a better handle on the actual power used. as usual breadboarding minimizes risk

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.