Help lowering noise in big series pass regulator circuit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th October 2015, 04:38 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help lowering noise in big series pass regulator circuit

I've got a big linear power supply from the 70's here and I'm having trouble lowering the noise floor with it. I'm getting almost equal peaks at 60, 120, and 240 hertz. So far, I've replaced all of the caps and a few transistors in it. I've also replaced two op-amps for peace of mind. Right now, I'm at about -55dbV on the audio outputs of the synthesizer this thing belongs to. I've seen this power supply design perform at -65dbV before so I know that improvement is possible. I'm thinking about changing the integrator caps to quiet it down but can't figure out how to comprehend the equation that I found or if damping is even the problem. Here's the paper that I'm using as a guide: http://www.calex.com/pdf/3power_impedance.pdf The power supply diagrams are in the attachments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 59 - SVU Circuit Diagram.jpg (477.6 KB, 97 views)
File Type: jpg 60 - SVU Circuit Board & Wiring.jpg (425.2 KB, 96 views)
Old 10th October 2015, 10:04 AM   #2
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Check the DC voltage across C730 and C731.

If your meter can (not all DMM can do this) measure AC voltage in the presence of a DC offset, then also measure the AC voltage across these two capacitors.
Old 11th October 2015, 02:57 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

I just tested it with my Tek 2465. I'm thinking I've got a ground loop somewhere that is bleeding into my system. On the output of each rail, I'm getting about 5mv of ripple when connected to power supply ground. When connected to chassis ground, it jumps up to about 40mv.

Hide this!Advertise here!