Need Help with TDA2052 Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
hi,
Im building an stereo amp with 2 TDA2052 IC. The Datasheet says it will need 25V(max) DC power supply to provide 60 watts in 4 n 8 Ohms. Now i just need a power supply diagram with full details that will provide max 25V DC.

Thank you all :)
And im weak in english :(

For that output power I can imagine +/-25V. In my experience the TDA2052 will trip the SOA protection with more than +/-20V into 4R loads and +/-26V (or less) into 8R. With some professional 10" 8R speakers they trip with +/-22V. So is good to limit to +/-20V in dual supply or +40V in single supply (some good dual 14-15Vac/3A/ch trafo here) and in my personal preference I attach the IC directly to heatsink and I isolated the heatsink from case since the TDA2052 case is connected to -V because is made with classic NPN technology like most chips so die substrate is connected to -V.
These protection trip disables the IC so "mute" the output for some time, so is annoying.
The TDA2052 is not too fast (less than 7V/µs) so is very good to experimenters.

Good luck with you project!

Joined 2011
Im building an stereo amp with 2 TDA2052 IC. The Datasheet says it will need 25V(max) DC power supply to provide
60 watts in 4 n 8 Ohms. Now i just need a power supply diagram with full details that will provide max 25V DC.(

You could use two laptop supplies of around 20VDC each, with an amp or more current rating for eight ohm speakers.
For 4 ohm speakers, use supplies with at least a two amp rating.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
-/+25 volts means it is a 50 volt supply in total with a centre zero point. This is the most common arrangement for amplifiers and allows direct coupling of the speaker with no capacitor.

A single 25 volt supply means that the amplifier is capacitor coupled to the speaker.

The transformer would need to be a single 15 volt AC type for a single 25 volt DC rail. For a -/+ supply you need a 15-0-15 volt AC type (a dual secondary) of around 160va rating.

The capacitors need to be around 3300uf to 6800uf and 35 volts DC working voltage (or higher).

If you show us the circuit then we can advise better.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
This is the typical circuit for the TDA2052 and this uses a dual supply.

(I think you need to make sure you understand how this all works before building the amp)

Attachments

• Capture3.PNG
    Capture3.PNG
    102.6 KB · Views: 538
+/-25V :) explain me in simple words :/ i just need Transformer n Capacitors details.
An dual 15Vac trafo (or 15-0-15Vac, at least 2A per channel) + diode bridge + 4700µF/35V electolytic capacitor per rail/polarity will be at good start. The diodes bridge needs to be more than 3A capable, 6A recommended.

This trafo results less than +/-25V but the TDA2052 will be happy with that and not trip the protection.

DISCLAIMER: I see the Molly post after my posting... but anyway, is my recommended trafo values to this IC, in practice.

Last edited:
here all details :D and 1 question, to an audio amplifier which is more important, supply voltage or more current???

Attachments

• tda2052_60w_amplifier_with_mute_st-by_functions.gif
    tda2052_60w_amplifier_with_mute_st-by_functions.gif
    14.6 KB · Views: 96
  • Scr000093.jpg
    Scr000093.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 105
  • Scr000094.jpg
    Scr000094.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 91
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
here all details :D and 1 question, to an audio amplifier which is more important, supply voltage or more current???

You need both the correct voltage and also to have enough current available for when the amplifier needs it.

I was thinking of 18-0-18vAC 160VA transformer. is it will be too much??

That's to much. The voltage will always be higher when lightly loaded anyway. A 15-0-15 is perfect.

i want stereo!! should i connect them with PSU like this???

Get each channel working on its own first and then think about wiring it for stereo. Getting the grounds correct is important to stop any hum.

and 1 more qs, to build a 35A rectifier which Diode should I use???

Sry for my stupid questions and disturbing u all :(

There are lots of suitable bridge rectifiers and separate diodes. A 400 volt 25 or 35 amp bridge costs very little.

GSIB2540-E3/45 - VISHAY SEMICONDUCTOR - Bridge Rectifier Diode, Single, 400 V, 25 A, 1 V, SIP, 4 | CPC UK

GBPC2504 - FAIRCHILD SEMICONDUCTOR - Bridge Rectifier Diode, Single, 400 V, 25 A, 1.1 V, Module, 4 | CPC UK

and again, which driver should be perfect for this TDA2052??? tell me in inch n Ohms.. :D

The TDA will drive most speakers. Its up to you what you want and how much you want to spend.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.