Which Universal PSU for various AMP builds? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2015, 07:23 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Which Universal PSU for various AMP builds?

Hi Guys,
I want to generic PSU, something where I can simply swap the Transformer for different voltage output. I need something generic for various AMP builds and wanted something generic so I can have a modular approach.

Is it better and cheaper to buy something off the shelf or simply build one from scratch?

I found these 2 PSUs on ebay..
What are your thoughts about these 2? Is this a step in the right direction?

4*10000uF/50V Japan Ruby capacitor amplifier power supply board
Click the image to open in full size.
  • Operating voltage : <50V
  • Capacitance : 4*10000uF/100V Japan Ruby capacitor , two American 0.33uF/160V film audio capacitors
  • Rectifier : Motorola uses four high-speed production MUR2040 rectifier diode , rectifier and each is equipped with a heat sink
  • PCB board : FR4 imported sheet , foil thickness using 2MM thick 2 oz
  • PCB size : 130 * 75mm,height: 55 mm
  • Two parallel output voltage terminal

6*10000uF/100V high-end power amplifier board Power Regulator Board PSU

• Operating voltage : <100V
  • Capacitance : 6*10000uF/100V Japan Ruby or KINGBOX capacitors, two 0.1uF/250V audio capacitors
  • Rectifier : The four Japanese production FCU2040A speed rectifier diode , rectifier and each is equipped with a heat sink
  • PCB board : FR4 imported sheet , foil thickness using 2MM thick 2 oz
  • PCB size : 165 * 75mm
  • Two parallel output voltage terminal
  • Finished Weight: 0.5kg
Old 18th August 2015, 02:32 PM   #2
jjrh88 is online now jjrh88  Canada
diyAudio Member

Why are there two diodes in parallel?
Old 18th August 2015, 02:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

thats a very good question. I have lifted the images from the seller's ebay. I am assuming this is done on purpose - as is typical with all schematics from chinese sellers?
Old 19th August 2015, 07:08 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

50V capacitors will definitely limit your options but then you dont say what power or speaker impedances you are considering or weather single ended or bridge, these are only rectifier/resevior boards and IMOP the transformer iself is the most significant issue! I am lucky to have a big trafo with a variety of isolated secondaries of various voltages that can be wired up to give a centre tapped winding of anything I am likely to want.
TO220 rectifiers usually consist of two diodes in a common cathode configuration so here they are simply connected in parallel. Finally beware of FAKE components in Chinese products, particularly capacitors, the ESR of the latter is vital to your amplifiers performance !
Old 19th August 2015, 07:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi colossusfan,

I am not massively looking for huge volume, i think i dont drive my speakers higher than 2-5 watt. All my speakers are 8Ohm and vary from 86-92Db..

The reason for this post was so I can get 1 transformer, 1 rectifier board as the base. This is so I can try out various AMP boards to see which ones I like the best (without incurring additional PSU costs for each build)

Having one transformer with various secondaries sounds like a very good idea. May I ask more details about what/how you have this setup?
Old 20th August 2015, 07:52 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Ahh now I better understand the scale of things well you could save lots of money by using much smaller diodes and capacitors if you are only working at that power level, but what you are looking at would also obviously do the job fine. As for transformers try and find a multi-winding one preferably in a junk/second-hand store, in my misspent youth there was a fantastic place in london, sampsons transformers near edgware rd tube if anybody else remembers and thats where i got this 1500W beast that does all my high power experiments, good luck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1140170.JPG (355.9 KB, 106 views)
Old 22nd August 2015, 11:13 AM   #7
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

A Variac with an output feeding a dual secondary transformer makes a very flexible experimenting power source.

I have the normal variable 240Vac output socket and in parallel feed a 100VA 24-0-24Vac EI. The outputs of this can feed many experimental setups. And this LV is isolated, so safe.

Hide this!Advertise here!