Store/latch fault signal

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
"Power supplies" is perhaps not the correct sub-forum, but all the right people are here so I post here... :yes:

I have a fault signal, at the moment 3.3 V logic but this is negotiable, which I wish to store. A simple OR-gate will solve this, but only until the supply voltage is cycled. An MCU would be a simple solution but here is the real issue, I don't even have 1 mA to spare, at least not continuously. Any voltage level yes, but current no. All glue around this lives on a few uA.

It can be OTP.
It does not have to be fast. The fault condition signal will be present for several seconds before the power can be cycled.

Any suggestions?

attachment.php

Attachments

• store_event.png
    store_event.png
    3.8 KB · Views: 141
How long is the event to be hold without power ?
How much current is needed by the circuit that receive the event signal ?
And how to reset it ?
Mona

Preferably indefinitely. If someone takes it out of service and installs it five years later, it may be/is still damaged.

Less than 10 uA. I can store some energy into a capacitor if the OTP/circuit which stores the flag/fault-bit takes more current than that for a short amount of time. Problem is Iq or just the current consumption when active but not writing the flag/fault-bit.

Send it in for service / electronic waste bin.

Last edited:
Probably the simplest way is to use a bi-stable relay.
Ones exited for a (very 1ms) short time it stays there.
To reset it has to be connected to a voltage of opposite polarity.
Since it needs power only for a moment you can store that in a chemical.
Something like this,
Mona

Attachments

• BiStRy.jpg
    BiStRy.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 53
Back to this issue. An ATtiny should be able to do the job with <uA consumption after some research. This guy measured an ATmega with some tweeks to only respond to a hardware interupt as low as 0.15 uA, which is fine in my application. Gammon Forum : Electronics : Microprocessors : Power saving techniques for microprocessors

Have to check if it boots fast enough and can blip a 1 into the OR-gate to latch it before I run out of stored energy in the capacitor, and then put it back to sleep.

While at it, I'm thinking of other saftey scemes. A second overtemperature protection comes to mind if the main system breakes down compleatly. Does it exist such a temperature sensor that can be biased with just uA?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.