Can I run a CB radio and Sub off of 1 amplifier?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't bought anything yet but I plan on getting a single 12 inch sub around 600 watts, so what wattage output should I look for in an amp and how many channels should I be looking for? What type of amp do you recommend that can run both a CB and sub? (I don't plan on running both at the same time)
PS I'm just looking for something cheap $75-$150 range.

I haven't bought anything yet but I plan on getting a single 12 inch sub around 600 watts, so what wattage output should I look for in an amp and how many channels should I be looking for? What type of amp do you recommend that can run both a CB and sub? (I don't plan on running both at the same time)
PS I'm just looking for something cheap $75-$150 range.

If you are getting a 600 watt sub speaker, then get a 600 watt amplifier. What are your intentions with the CB? Are you going to run it through the sound system?

When you say "run" a CB, are you talking power supply?

You may need to be doing some RF bypassing techniques when it comes to running sound equipment with RF transmitters.

You may not have any problems if you are running at a legal RF level.
But you are planning on running some RF power and over modulating it, expect it to be dirty and seep in to your sound equipment.

I did a lot of this type of work back in the 90's when it was a very big and popular hobby in Naples Fla.

I had to RF proof everything I had in order for too even have it on while I was transmitting.

My Marshall Valvestate was the only thing I didn't modify and it made some awesome noises that only a Marshall could do when I keyed up with the microphone picking it up too!

I had RF proofed my Fostex 454 mixer so that I could use my effects devices to modify my voice.

I had the Biggest and Badest Echo unit the had ever hit the air waves at that time not to mention using a Realtime Pitch Transposer as well in the form of a Korg SDD-1200 Dual Digital Delay and a ART SGE !!

My system was dead quite otherwise when I keyed up.
Before modifying my mixer with just a few Cap's in just the right places everything was absolutely unusable when I keyed up.

Yes, I had some fun with those bad boys!!
Especially when that Thunderbolt 300 got warmed up!!! He,he,he,he,he

jer :)

Last edited:
Yes, I had some fun with those bad boys!!
Especially when that Thunderbolt 300 got warmed up!!! He,he,he,he
,he

LOL.. I shut down many thump boxes at red lights myself. A whistle into a power mic make 'um jump.. :)

Knew a guy that ran his CB radio into a 500 watt audio amp hoping to get more power. Needless to say, he let the magic smoke out..

What are your intentions with the CB? Are you going to run it through the sound system?

When you say "run" a CB, are you talking power supply?

The CB won't be going through the sound system at all, it will just use it's own speaker.

When I said I won't run a CB and sub at the same time I meant I won't have both of them on at the same time. If I ever have the CB on then most likely the subwoofer won't be on. Unless I can do both at the same time then I might do that sometimes, but I'm not exactly an expert on amplifiers or electronics which is why I'm posting on here.

So if I buy a regular 600 watt amp thats for sound systems, then you're saying that can also run a CB radio? Could it do both at the same time? Or would I manually have to connect the subwoofer to the amp when I want it or the CB when I want it each time?

SZT, can you provide more details?
This topic may be better served in the Car Audio or Amplifier subforums.
What amp can run both a CB and sub? Virtually none, if it means a <27Hz to >27MHz response bandwidth.
And it seems your budget is the determining factor for output wattage. Real watts cost real money. Don't be suckered by marketing puffery.
A stereo amp can work with a dual voice coil sub. Otherwise, a bridgeable or a single-channel amp is all you need.

The CB and the stereo system should only have one thing in common. The connection to the battery for power. Two totally separate systems..

You may have issues when you key up the CB to talk while having the amp for your stereo turned on at the same time. Even if you have the volume of your stereo turned down all the way when you key the CB up could give you an unpleasant surprise..

The easiest cure is to turn your stereo/amp completely off while transmitting on the CB. You could listen to both together all day long with no issues. It's just when you key up the CB to talk..

If you have an unmodified (New/Stock) CB, (one that hasn't seen the truck stop butchers) you may not have any issues at all. It's unknown until you do the install and test.. (You'll find out quickly.. LOL)

One big thing to avoid any feedback issues is to have the antenna of the CB installed and checked by someone that knows what they are doing. The checking/tuning of the antenna is a must in most cases. A good antenna system on the CB will cure a lot of issues and makes the CB work much better too. If you have a nasty antenna system, all of the filtering in the world isn't going to help..

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.