Audio Power Tranformer with 6 Primary Wires - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 25th June 2015, 01:18 AM   #1
ednja is offline ednja  Canada
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Power Tranformer with 6 Primary Wires

I have an audio power transformer with more than 2 primary wires. It has 6 primary wires and 6 secondary wires. Of the 6 primary wires, 2 of them are blue, 2 are red, 1 is purple and 1 is black. Does anyone know if there is a standard color code for these wires? How would these wires be connected to the AC?
Old 25th June 2015, 04:36 AM   #2
sangram is online now sangram  India
diyAudio Member

The best way to do this is to feed a small AC voltage from a known transformer into the secondary, and measure the voltage on the primary.

Each set of primaries will show a voltage, and you can calculate the winding ratio with measurements at both sides of the transformer.

Normally this would be either a set of 110 and 115V primaries, which are wired in series for 220 or 230V, or a similar combination for 100 and 120V. Other combinations are also possible. In some weird cases there may be a third primary winding, as I found in an old transformer once.
Old 25th June 2015, 05:46 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

First, you have to find out the coils by ohmmeter test. Then you can feed a safe voltage of 10Volts AC across one of the coil. Then make a series connection so that the voltages add up. This will give you the configuration for max primary voltage i.e. 240 Volts AC.

Gajanan Phadte
Old 27th June 2015, 09:04 AM   #4
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

is this a mains power transformer?
or
an audio transformer?
Old 27th June 2015, 12:20 PM   #5
ednja is offline ednja  Canada
diyAudio Member

It's a mains transformer.
Old 27th June 2015, 02:16 PM   #6
AndrewT is online now AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

identify each separate winding. find all the taps on each winding.
Label them.

I prefer to insert each wire end into separate receptacles of an insulated terminal strip.
It stops you accidentally touching/shorting a loose wire.
It cuts through the insulating tough varnish/enamel covering the ends.
It allows you to insert links to tie separate windings together - safely.

Measure the resistance of every tap. This will identify whether you have a 0-100-110-120Vac winding or a 0-55-110-120Vac winding. And get them in the right order
connecting 110Vac to 0-110 of a 0-110-120Vac is very different from connecting 110Vac to 0-10 of a 0-10-120Vac winding. One blows up, the other survives !!!!!

Hide this!Advertise here!