Yet Another Transformer Identification Thread

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Ok, I need to go on a run. I will take a look at all the info when I get back. Do not load anything up yet. The low voltage input and just the readings are safe. I have a tube pre amp I reversed primary and secondary to get my high voltage. Changed step down to a step up. Keeping an eye on the amps on both sides.

I will be a couple of hours.

That is strange how a 220v tray is in 120v device. It can be done, but OEM? Still, it is 500 va. Voltage x current = power (excluding power factor), will be the same power, watts, on primary side and secondary. Inversely proportional, voltage up; current down: voltage down; current up and power remains constant, unless you exceed it .(500VA).

Problem is you don't know what each winding is rated for. People who make these do a high-pot test on them and it is a destructive test, but hell, they got more. The test tells them how much current the wordings can take before the insulation breaks down. Then they reduce that value to a safe operating va. The voltage is dependent on type and how many dips in the varnish the transformer takes, ( not many in China, HA).

It is a crap shoot. So you have to ask your self, is it worth the trouble to have the extra weight of the transformer, or am I a DIYer, and smoking a few components is part of the hobby... Or I fell lucky.

Go for it. Just don't do a permeant install.

But, you do understand the winding ratio. Voltage in and voltage out. The 120vac, and the 32vac, and the26vac.
I have ran into extra wires on the primary. They were taps to compensate for higher or lower voltages. Some regions have 220vac, 240vac or even a bit higher or lower. The Adcom amp I gutted had these on the transformer . They could only be changed inside the enclosure, but some have a selector switch on the outside.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.