Convert a System to Single Battery DC Use: Amp Circuit Req. 24v-0-24v - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th April 2015, 05:49 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Smile Convert a System to Single Battery DC Use: Amp Circuit Req. 24v-0-24v

I'm trying to power a amp/subwoofer unit (Logitech z-2300) with a eBike battery: 36V, 10aH. There's a lot of chatter about this speaker system online, so I have a good idea of what I'm working with, but I'm stuck here:

The input voltage (DC: after the bridge rectifier) is approx. 24V-0-24V ( or +24V / - 24V ).
Is there a way that this can be achieved with a single battery? I've purchased two buck converters 36V > 24V and since they have a common ground that hasn't worked. As well, I bought a beefy rectifier to isolate the grounds from each other and that effort seems to be in vain.
I'm guessing that this kind of conversion has been done many times before. Exact voltage is not critical (I'd be happy with 36V-0-36V or ...?).
But getting a single DC power source to split like that is eluding me. What is the way to achieve that? Thanks for your ideas!
Old 14th April 2015, 07:09 AM   #2
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You either need two isolated 24V DC-DC converters, which you can wire the outputs in series (and the inputs in parallel). Or a 48V DC-DC converter and a rail splitter or virtual ground circuit. Fist option would be best.
Old 16th April 2015, 03:51 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks! Can you recommend 36V>24V isolated converters? I clearly bought the wrong ones.
OR better: is there ANY way to isolate the 36V>24V buck converters input? I tried (guessing) a 200V 15A 1N3210 Diode - to separate the grounds.
Maybe I can use this diode plus some other component(s) to isolate the input?
Old 16th April 2015, 07:30 AM   #4
Did it Himself
diyAudio Member

You have to buy new converters. Diodes will not isolate anything as you need galvanic isolation. The converter needs to have a transformer rather than inductor.
Old 17th April 2015, 08:29 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks,
What if I got just one transformer converter and paired it with the buck?

Hide this!Advertise here!