difference between trafo's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Does anyone know the difference between these two toroidal power transformers?

Talema 55186-P1S2

and

Multicomp VTX-146-500-140

The most notable difference I can tell at first sight is quite a big price difference in favour of the Talema X-former. It's almost half the price of the Multicomp. What's the catch??

Is the Multicomp unit really that much better to justify the price difference? I can't find a comprehensive data sheet on both, so if anyone of you guys has experience with either one or both, please let me know.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Both are the same weight (3.5kg) and almost identical dimensions. The Multicomp is 2mm taller, diameter is the same.

I don't think that will make a world of difference, will it..?

By the way: can you take a look at the attached schematic? I think I have the rectifier diodes on the negative side wrong, but I'm not sure...

Attachments

• Uni PSU v3 - simplified.bmp
    68.3 KB · Views: 87
Just out of curiousity: is there, performance-wise, any difference between two 500VA toroidal transformers, one weighing 3,5kg, the other 4,2kg? Which one is better suited for use in an audio amplifier, and why?

I ask, because someone tries to sell me two 40-0-40V toroids, of unspecified VA-rating (it's a Philips 9562 165 08000). He claims they're much better than Multicomp or Talema, because the quality of the windings and winding density as well as the flux density are higher in the Philips. Even though he doesn't exactly know what sort of trafo it is. I'm not anxious to buy these. But, given the choice between Multicomp or Amplimo (3,5kg and 4,2kg respectively), I prefer to choose the one better suited to the task

The Amplimo is phisically smaller and slightly cheaper as the Multicomp unit, as well.

Thanks, AJT.

Unfortunately, I dont't have a comprehensive data sheet from either one of the mentioned trafo's. And without having them on my desk, measuring is impossible :-(

Intuitively, I would say that a physically larger transformer will probably have better saturation. With that, the Multicomp and Talema units might be the better ones. But I could very well be talking out of my a$$...

Any ideas?

aside from weight, i need the other data to make a comparison..

Attached is what I've found on the Talema transformer. The one I'm interested in is: 0500P1-2-040

I'm still looking for data on the other two.

Are the numbers in the data sheet "typical" for good quality toroids? I have no idea...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 15.32.17.png
    Screen Shot 2015-03-29 at 15.32.17.png
    335.4 KB · Views: 86
A pretty full specification. Winding resistances are a bit unusual, even more so is the no load Primary current.
It all looks OK.

Do you mean it's unusual to find these numbers in data sheets? Or are the numbers themselves unusual? I've not seen them before.

Judging on your comment, I suppose it's perfectly safe to use this transformer. It's very cheap compared to it's competition!
Sorry, my wording is clumsy.

I meant it is unusual to see such a full specification.
The numbers given are OK and can be used if you wanted to do some modeling of behaviour.
They are measurements I always make before assembly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.