Simple push pull design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
would like a power supply large enough to power 450 rms x 2 channels at 4 ohms

and possibly 150 rms x 6 channels at 4 ohms as well.

so maybe looking for lots of power with huge transformers?

please no criticize....only helpful posts in the forward direction through a power supply design which uses beefy transformers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...&v=jiBglkZ8MXc

Attachments

• image091.gif
    image091.gif
    4.1 KB · Views: 117
and please, let's keep the thread in the direction of the opener....no comments on how it won't work, if you think it won't (please don't comment....**don't post**)

just looking for the values of the

input transformers
output transformers
2 transistors
1 resistor

"Power supplies are the easiest part to build, problem comes in when you start factoring in size and heat. The key for a power supply is having something that can supply the needed power for short burst and long term. If you allow me to make one the size of a shoe box, I can build one that will more than enough for anything you want. Try selling that for some one in a Honda Civic. so manufacturers make them very small, then you run into problems with heat. Heat is your killer.

The chips for the audio section audio have been around for ages, they are not very large and have been designed to be mounted for heat dissipation.

Back many years ago I had a very nice Kenwood home amp, it use 63 volts DC on each chip for the power section. the final stage IC's were no larger that wide pack of gum mounted on a large aluminium block. The amp was very heavy, all power supply, transformers.

I use a lot of 24 power supplies for my job, very high current, very heavy, very stable. The transformer is most of the weight.

If you want to build a better system than whats on the market, as you pointed out, the chips are there. But you need to get power to them in a better manner than the manufacturers do, They have to cut corners to make it fit, you don't have to"

the guy makes it sound easy enough

have already had lots of help in the tube amp direction and it was all for nothing consisdering have no idea the relationship of tube watts vs regular watts? want something like the guy talks about above, a big power supply then worry about options for the audio section...

thank you

450W into 4r0 requires an output of 60Vpk.
Expect to need at least +-70Vdc and possibly as high as +-80Vdc to achieve that target.

50+50Vac transformer may be enough, but possibly 55+55Vac

two channels will require a 900VA to 1800VA transformer.

I know nearly nothing about valve/tube transformers.

thank andrewT (do you root for Andy Murray the tennis player?) he seems like a good guy, but feel maybe he's not as righteous as some other players...

back to electronics. so you say maybe a 55+55 Vac with 900Va to 1800Va. ?

will both values work for input and output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.