Odd, slight voltage increase over long time periods

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2011
Paid Member
Hello all,

I'm dipping my toe in the waters of linear power supply design. Been playing with LTspice and came up with a voltage doubler circuit with some smoothing.

It seems to work, but I noticed that the voltage is increasing ever-so-slightly over long simulation runs.

For example, I have run the simulation for 2000 seconds. At the 5 second mark, it measures 26.17v and it steadily climbs to 26.392v at 2000 seconds.

It isn't a lot, but I've also run the simulation for 20000 seconds and indeed the voltage does continue to rise and rise.

I assume this is due to a design flaw. I am not surprised, but I would like some help trying to figure out why this circuit is doing this.

Just taking a stab at it... The circuit has no load, and voltage drops (ie, resistors) paired with the storage components. The voltage drops will get progressively smaller as the circuit approaches a sort of equilibrium nearing the doubled input ac voltage.
I'm not confident; this answer may be worthy of kudos or raspberries.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.