Another Odd Power Transformer - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 10th January 2015, 05:37 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Another Odd Power Transformer

This is from a solid-state stereo receiver.

My mains voltage is 124 VAC, give or take.

I measured the DC resistance and checked continuity on all wires to be sure I had some idea what I was doing before putting it on AC mains (I also checked with a simple 12 VAC wall-wart power supply first to be safe).

This transformer is simply huge! I have it posed next to a Type 80 rectifier tube for reference; also my hand is not exactly small. It must weigh a good 8 to 10 pounds; very hefty.

Secondaries:

80 VCT (very thick wires, as thick as primaries)
40 VCT (thin wires)
20 VCT (thin wires)
4.6 VCT (thin wires)

There was one odd wire that didn't appear to be 'grouped' with any of the above, but as it turned out, it seems to be a bias tap for the 20 VCT group. Taken with either of the 10-0-10 ends, it gives 16 volts. Not sure what that's all about.

So, given this, I am trying to figure out how or if I can us it in a tube amp design. I thought perhaps with a doubler circuit, I could use the 'thick' secondaries for B+ on a low B+ style amp, or perhaps as heater voltage on some of my famous 50 volt heater tubes that I so love (because they are cheap).

On the other hand, perhaps I should reserve this monster for use on a Class D solid-state amp, something that could use the massive amperage this transformer must be shoving out.

Thoughts?

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20150110_122237.jpg (784.7 KB, 46 views)

Hide this!Advertise here!