PSU for Metrum Octave nos dac

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The PSU for my Metrum Octave nos mini dac simply will not power up. It did not happen during use and there were no clues prior to the failure. A look inside showed nothing obvious. A search for another metrum psu came up empty and e-mails to Metrum in the Netherlands were not answered. Is there an after-market psu that will work? The power supply reads 115 V AC and 15VA. It connects with a mini 3 pin female plug to the dac (females on both sides of the mini plug).The dac reads 9V AC at the power in plug. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Is there a psu supplier that is knowledgable and reliable? Welborne looks suspect. Please help...many thanks in advance from a non-technie.

Basically the PSU part of the Octave just holds the transformer and the fuse. On some earlier models, there might be two small toroids, mine has just one bigger toroid.

The transformer would be one of the last suspects, IMO. Since you seem to be a non-techie, I can only ask you to have someone help you because without extra info in the form of voltage readings, there's not even a guess to be made as to why it isn't powering on...

This DAC is a bit quirky in that it has two power switches. Are both switched on?

Hi Jitter,

Thanks you for the help. I finally got more serious and took a hard look inside, Partially obscured was the fuse mechanism. It had an upgraded AMR that is opaque and so you cannot immediately tell if the fuse is blown. Replacement is a 250ma 250v slo blo. Once replaced, the dac is humming along nicely. Thanks again for your kind post helping me out...Bob

Hello Bob,

Good to know you fixed the Octave. Isn't it a wonderful DAC?

Mine holds a glass fuse of 100 mA under a clear protective cover. Over here the fuse value must be lower because of the higher mains voltage.

I wonder why the fuse blew, there must have been a reason...

What is an "AMR"?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.