2500 Watt SMPS transfomer specs needed

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I need a little help with making a transformer(s) for my SMPS. I am a hobbyist at best, so please be gentle with me and my knowledge. I've manged to build a SMPS module and it's working fine. The only problem that i have now is too figure out to calculate and chose the components for the transformer. My knowledge of transformers only extends to power inverters.

Ok. here's the problem. I calculated the transformer as I would an inverter (2500watts) and it's huge. So I'm suspecting that calculating SMPS transformer must be different.

My specs SMPS 12 - 0 - 12 input and 80 - 0 - 80 output, 50KHz. I need information on constructing a ferrite based transformer, preferably EI to supply power to my amp.

All help accepted

Thanks

I need a little help with making a transformer(s) for my SMPS. I am a hobbyist at best, so please be gentle with me and my knowledge. I've manged to build a SMPS module and it's working fine. The only problem that i have now is too figure out to calculate and chose the components for the transformer. My knowledge of transformers only extends to power inverters.

Ok. here's the problem. I calculated the transformer as I would an inverter (2500watts) and it's huge. So I'm suspecting that calculating SMPS transformer must be different.

My specs SMPS 12 - 0 - 12 input and 80 - 0 - 80 output, 50KHz. I need information on constructing a ferrite based transformer, preferably EI to supply power to my amp.

All help accepted

Thanks

2500W from 12V is hard and difficult with only one transformer.
So if I were you, i would make several smaller, lets say 400-600W each...
In a smaller transformer you will get more turns around the primary, not just one.
Aim to for example 4 turns in primary.
From my sleeve, 6pcs ETD39 makes 2500w.
Check Full-Bridge topology - simplifies transformer design (which is important in high power (in my opinion)).

With those power levels, and input voltage layout will be extremely important. Ripple currents through caps could incinerate components!
Heat loss will be troublesome too.

Parallelling, ie interleaving several smaller is the way to go! Check out current mode control for improved load sharing. Or voltage mode, but with ballast resistors.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.