Subwoofer power supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Then an auto transformer sourced by the BUYER in his/her home country solves importing problem.

Let the BUYER sort it. It is easy and it is cheap.

If they WANT to import a UK specified REL, tell them what their option/s are and let them decide if they want to go along with the IMPORT.

That's the point, they do not want to continue on the bases of: it wont work on a US power supply "as is" I did say, your in need of either a transformer, or having the WHOLE back plate removed and having the US version put in at REL in California, but nope, kept changing there mind. I'm extremely frustrated REL quoted them, from REL in the US different, to me here at REL based in England. Also will not even confirm or forward to me any details of this simply, yet rather expensive procedure to me. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

That's the point, they do not want to continue on the bases of: it wont work on a US power supply "as is"
It's their money, it's their privilege.
You are not REL trying to export to USA and stubbornly refusing to comply with US electrical rules, it's an individual, xsamuraix, who is selling as an individual his own, obviously used, REL528 .

You want to sell? You must comply with buyer's needs or cancel the sale.
Is there any other option?
I don't see it.

Obviously they are not happy with using an external transformer, even less in paying for it themselves, it's up to you to comply or cancel.

I did say, your in need of either a transformer, or having the WHOLE back plate removed and having the US version put in at REL in California, but nope, kept changing there mind.
As said before, not happy, what do you expect?
And maybe they thought or you implied that it was dual voltage or at least somehow usable in USA without brain surgery.
Now that it's clearly needed, it's reasonable they complain.

It's up yo you: if you don't have other confirmed offers ("inquiries" are not offers) , you can't wait much longer and can take it, either spend the Gbp330 or discount them.
If you are not in a hurry, keep offering it in UK and the rest of the 220/240V World.

I'm extremely frustrated REL quoted them, from REL in the US different, to me here at REL based in England.
Did REL-US quote substantially less then REL-UK? (say, 200U$ or better)?
Then offer to discount said amount, you ship straight to REL-US and they deal with it afterwards.

Also will not even confirm or forward to me any details of this simply, yet rather expensive procedure to me. Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
Why would they divulge properietary servicing "technical details" to Customers?

Nobody does.

And, really ..... expensive ...? :eek: :rolleyes:

That SW has a list price of Gbp2400, best shop price was Gbp1800 (VAT included) , they ask mere Gbp330 for a full back panel, including processing power amp and PSU?
And you get to keep the other?

FWIW I service heavy duty PRO stuff, just an example a new (stuffed) power amp PCB in, say, a Crown amp costs around 50% of the amp shop price .
That does not include the Power supply or transformer, which yours obviously does.
And they are asking for a mere 18% of the street price :eek: or 14% of MSRP .
Really they are offering you an incredible service, which is to be praised and shows their commitment.

Another example: for Hartke 3500 Bass amp, distributed by Samson, manufacturer offers, for official service centers only, a full replacement power amp PCB, without the power transistors which you must purchase separately, for some 25% of amp retail price.
And we consider that a good deal :D

And you complain about getting a fully working backplate with all electronics for such a low price?
Does not look reasonable to me.

Ok, back to DIY Audio :

I suggest:

1) open that amp, take a couple good sharp pictures of that transformer and post them here

2) it should have some label stating wiring colours and voltage, post it too.

If none (which I doubt) , draw the wiring yourself, labelling wires correctly.
They may be soldered to the PCB or use some connector, picture that and show any silkscreened labels on the board.

Measure all secondary AC voltages relative to ground (and post them here ;) )

3) maybe you have a nice surprise and the transformer has a nice label stating "Ying Yang Tlansfolmel Factoly, Guingguanhgong , China) and all wiring and voltages.
If not, you find them yourself.

In any case, maybe with that data somebody can suggest a replacement 120V transformer ... which you should replace yourself.

That said, IF taking this route costs, say, 200Gbp and doing the right thing (guaranteed by the Factory) costs 330, choose the Factory option.

Why? ... because at a later date, suppose the SW needs servicing , any official REL service shop will notice that and refuse servicing.

We call that: "pan para hoy, hambre para mañana" which means "you get bread today, but guarantee starving tomorrow" .

Good luck :)

Well, they did say, does it work on the US power supply, I said no, sorry it does not as you need a step up power transformer, they still went ahead and bought it. I then phoned REL here in UK and they quoted, yes, it will work fine (just to double check) so, it is REL that have screwed us both over. It is a brand new one he is getting, but the work has to be carried out in the US, as you stated, no guarantee included if the work is carried out within the UK to have it converted. I have sold many a item to the US and Europe, never had any issues as people do know that they need transformers of some kind.

I'll try and do the pics shortly.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.