Any easy way to reduce mains from 122VAC to 110VAC? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th November 2014, 04:14 PM   #1
john65b is offline john65b  United States
diyAudio Member

Default Any easy way to reduce mains from 122VAC to 110VAC?

Hey all, I have an ICEPower Module that will not turn on (sense) unless mains voltage is less than 110VAC. I have measured the mains here and I am around 122VAC.

I was troubleshooting the module and put it on a Variac. I noticed as soon as I got under 110VAC (min voltage for module is 85 VAC), the module ran perfectly. Also, once it is turned on, it ran fine on mains voltage of 122VAC.

I have put in a Current limiter (CL-90 - 120 ohm resistance), and didn't really help - I think it needs more Amps to get that ramp up in resistance / voltage to drop mains a bit.

Any other way?

By the way, this is an ICEPower 50ASX2 that has an internal SMPS onboard....

Last edited by john65b; 20th November 2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 20th November 2014, 04:22 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

How about RG Keen's Vintage Voltage adaptor Vintage Voltage Adapter
Old 20th November 2014, 04:34 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

That looks interesting - I have a 120 / 12 tranny - may be a bit too big to fit in teh chassis tho...I will have to check.
Old 20th November 2014, 04:37 PM   #4
Elvee is offline Elvee  Belgium
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john65b View Post

Any other way?
The simplest and most effective way is to use a low voltage transformer wired as an autotransformer.
In your case, a 120V/12V would do: since the regulation will work backwards, you'll get something like 116~118V with 122V input.
The power only needs to be the percentage of the voltage drop you need times the nominal power of your amplifier, ~10% in your case
Old 20th November 2014, 04:53 PM   #5
cspirou is offline cspirou  France
diyAudio Member

If you only need to drop 12 volts I would think that the simplest way would be to make a voltage divider with a couple of resistors.

Voltage divider - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You wants your resistors to be lower then the equivalent resistance of the module but too low and they'll dissipate a lot of heat. How many watts is the ICEPower module?
Old 20th November 2014, 05:05 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Elvee almost has it. Use a 120 to 12 volt transformer, wire the primary across the input voltage, place the secondary in series with the voltage to your power module. if you connect the secondary one way it will add 12 volts, the other it will subtract it. You only need a transformer with a secondary current rating equal to the final draw.
Old 20th November 2014, 05:16 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You wants your resistors to be lower then the equivalent resistance of the module but too low and they'll dissipate a lot of heat. How many watts is the ICEPower module?
The Icepower amp is listed at 65 watts.
Old 20th November 2014, 05:18 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Agreed, autotransformer is the way to go. Only slight change I would suggest would be to wire 120V and 12V windings in series with same relative polarity, then connect your line voltage to the entire winding, which will now be rated for 132V. You are placing fewer volts/turn on the transformer, which will allow it to run at lower saturation given your 122V input. Output will be around 110V, taken across the 120V winding.
Old 20th November 2014, 06:00 PM   #9
Nisbeth is offline Nisbeth  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Quite weird that this should be a problem since the ICEpower SMPS is rated up to 132VAC (264VAC doubled). 122VAC should be well within range?

/U.
Old 20th November 2014, 06:02 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I would first contact ICE about the issue. It may be possible to easily adjust the over-voltage trip point of your modules to accept up to 125 volts without damage. That would be both the least costly and the most convienent solution of possible.

Hide this!Advertise here!