12 Volt 30 Amp Power Supply

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I haven't used Led strips yet, so didn't check their datasheets, but since they are a consumer product destined to used by the masses, I guess they are not that critical about the power supply.

I see them sold paired with "12V DC supplies" , in fact sometimes they are called "12V DC transformers" :rolleyes: , maybe they don't exactly need to be regulated.

Anybody got a datasheet?

Usually, as I know, led strips are sold with transformer less power supplies. I do not really know which ones are more reliable - with a transformer or transformer less, and what are advantages and disadvantages. For some reasons I like more with a transformer. You make it yourself and you know how to fix it. It may cost few $$ more, but it's fun

Just checked.

http://optekinc.com/datasheets/ovq12s30b7.pdf

I had imagined some FET constant current circuit or equivalent, but I'm quite disappointed, they're just strings of 3 Leds in series with a plain resistor, as low tech as can be.

So you don't need a regulated supply at all, even less a very inefficient and expensive linear one.

I'll start using Led strips to add personalized light to my machines work area (PCB drill, punchers, transformer winding, etc.) and I'll just use a 12V AC transformer, bridge and 4700x16 filter cap to get raw 15/16V and add the proper resistor so the strip gets 12V , not because it's *that* critical but to avoid unnecessary overheating if too high, weak light if too low.

But I guess that staying within +/- 0.5V around 12V will be fine.

Much easier than a 30A regulated supply.

Of course, a standard or modded PC SMPS will work fine within its rating.

Attachments

• LedStripOptek.gif
    LedStripOptek.gif
    8 KB · Views: 76
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.