First 24V Power Supply - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 18th October 2014, 08:06 PM   #1
mohits is offline mohits  United States
diyAudio Member

Default First 24V Power Supply

Hello everyone,

I am starting building a 40W 8Ohm chipamp for bookshelf speakers. It will need a 24V power supply (12V/-12V for two-rail operation). So, to build a power supply, I need to get a transformer. I looked up on mouser and found thiese results:
Transformers | Mouser
Digikey results:
Power Transformers | Transformers | DigiKey

Since I hae not built a power supply before, do you think I am looking at the right transformers? Also, what considerations do I need to choose which transformer to buy? Do all transformers upply positive and negative rails?

Thanks!
Mohit
Old 18th October 2014, 08:25 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

The Mouser transformers appear to be single-secondary types. For a bipolar supply, you'll want a center-tapped (or dual) secondary. The DigiKey page shows those (dual secondary types).

Do you have a psu schematic you will be using?
The load and the psu circuit itself (for example, ripple filter components, regulated/unregulated output) are the most basic factors involved in transformer selection.

Transformers supply converted and/or isolated AC voltage. The circuitry afterward determines the kind of DC output.
Old 19th October 2014, 04:42 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks for your tips. I am using the circuit based on this project:
DIY LM3886 Chip Amplifier (Gainclone) Kit
The power supply is in Figure 2.
For the amplifier, I plan to use LM3875, and use the circuit from its datasheet. http://www.ti.com/general/docs/lit/g...5&fileType=pdf

Hope the amplifier and psu are compatible
Old 19th October 2014, 05:24 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The power output depends on the powersuply voltage and the speaker resistance. If you
use your proposed + & - 12v supply you will get nothing like 40w. Looking at the data sheet even if you use + & - 28v you only get between 30 and 38w . So your 12v + &- will only give you something in the 5 to 10w range. I would be looking for something like 48v ct transformer at at least 150va. You might look at 2 of the toriods on this page one with dual 24v outputs and another with dual 28.4 outputs ( you can wire the secondaries in seriese for a center tap transformer) miscellaneous.html
Old 19th October 2014, 06:01 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the correction. Yes, I based my values based on calculations in page 21. It recommends power supply of +/- 30V. I mistook it to just 30V-gnd (+15/-15V).

Looks like I have to redo my transformer search.
Old 19th October 2014, 06:14 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

After a quick search, I didn't find anything on Mouser, but only this one at digikey:
VPT48-1040 Triad Magnetics | 237-1335-ND | DigiKey

Does this sound about right to you?
Old 20th October 2014, 12:17 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Did you click on the miscellaneous.html at the end of my previous post? It takes you
to our good friend Apex jr. who has bargens on transformers and capacitors.
Old 20th October 2014, 07:02 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

I completely missed that earlier. It is very useful. Thanks also for pointing out the relevant transformers in his list.

Hide this!Advertise here!