SMPS Trouble Shooting Help Please

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
After doing some structural adjustments to the case containing my power supply, I saw some sparks fly and the fuse blew on my Meanwell SE-350-36. I thought maybe some metal shaving got into the power supply, or something caused a short circuit downstream, but I couldn't find evidence of either.

After a thorough cleaning with an air gun, I put an alligator clip across the roasted trace and powered it up again. The fuse blew immediately, so there is definitely something still wrong. Any thoughts?

Thank you!

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
Its a man-made fault and so all bets are off.

Fuse blowing means either a shorted bridge or a short across the bridge (the chopper transistor is almost certainly shorted).

Realistically you are looking at replacing the chopper, checking the bridge (they are tough and usually survive but check it) and checking ALL the small diodes and any small transistors in the control loop/regulator. The SMPS chip is probably zapped too.

Be aware that these PSU's are always live on the primary side and that the reservoir cap could remain fully charged depending on the fault and open circuit print.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.