Help me solve my buzz, please!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi, I have a Raspberry Pi with Open Elec installed, which seems to make me a happy media player. So I after being happy with my install, decide to build me a linear supply! Acquired a transformer v-0v-v and with a couple of 5 volt regulators I have built a supply using 1 rail plus centre tap of the transformer and created a supply. I did originally parallel the 2 yellow wires on the transformer to double the current, black being 0 volts, but the transformer started cooking, oops! So I just used one wire and the 0v tap and I got 5 volts for the Pi! Well getting carried away, I built another 5 volt supply for my USB DAC! Great I thought, eager I wired it up, BUZZZZZZZ! :mad: It only goes away, if, I unplug the feed to the Pi! I used star earth, and just realised I don't have any caps across the 5 volt rails after the Regs, only before! Would having no caps after cause the buzz, or is it because I'm sharing the Centre Tap!
Thanks, Mike

Attached

My psu, added caps after regulator, still buzzing!!

Attachments

• ec1.jpg
    ec1.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
Is the output of the lower diode connected to the upper diode? If so, why 2 reg's? Thanks

I thought you needed 2 regs because of power consumption and because you wanted to separate the two outputs so that noise / power spikes from one device would not affect the other ... if that's not your concern, just use one, but if you already have them, why not use them.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.