Help me solve my buzz, please! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th September 2014, 06:49 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Help me solve my buzz, please!

Hi, I have a Raspberry Pi with Open Elec installed, which seems to make me a happy media player. So I after being happy with my install, decide to build me a linear supply! Acquired a transformer v-0v-v and with a couple of 5 volt regulators I have built a supply using 1 rail plus centre tap of the transformer and created a supply. I did originally parallel the 2 yellow wires on the transformer to double the current, black being 0 volts, but the transformer started cooking, oops! So I just used one wire and the 0v tap and I got 5 volts for the Pi! Well getting carried away, I built another 5 volt supply for my USB DAC! Great I thought, eager I wired it up, BUZZZZZZZ! It only goes away, if, I unplug the feed to the Pi! I used star earth, and just realised I don't have any caps across the 5 volt rails after the Regs, only before! Would having no caps after cause the buzz, or is it because I'm sharing the Centre Tap!
Thanks, Mike
Old 14th September 2014, 07:50 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Default Attached

My psu, added caps after regulator, still buzzing!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ec1.jpg (60.8 KB, 46 views)

Last edited by Deafuser; 14th September 2014 at 08:14 PM. Reason: `update
Old 14th September 2014, 08:07 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

You need to have a common ground for both outputs.
You don't and thats the problem.

Normally the center tap is the ground and this is how I would do it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7470a.JPG (33.5 KB, 44 views)
Old 14th September 2014, 08:16 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Hi payloadde, thanks for replying. Why no Bridge rectifier?
Old 14th September 2014, 08:25 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Point a

Is the output of the lower diode connected to the upper diode? If so, why 2 reg's? Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_7470a.jpg (31.3 KB, 42 views)
Old 14th September 2014, 08:32 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

With CT xfmr 2 diodes make a perfect full-wave rectifier, no need for a bridge.
The two yellow ends of a CT xfrmr are of opposite phase with respect to the CT, so either the upper or the lower diode conducts.
Center tap - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
If you don't have 2 separate diodes at hand, it can be done with a bridge, but only one half of it will be active.
Old 14th September 2014, 08:44 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deafuser View Post
Is the output of the lower diode connected to the upper diode? If so, why 2 reg's? Thanks
I thought you needed 2 regs because of power consumption and because you wanted to separate the two outputs so that noise / power spikes from one device would not affect the other ... if that's not your concern, just use one, but if you already have them, why not use them.
Old 14th September 2014, 08:50 PM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by payloadde View Post
The two yellow ends of a CT xfrmr are of opposite phase with respect to the CT
and that's also the reason why your xfmr cooks when you connect the 2 yellows, thats equivalent to a short.
Old 14th September 2014, 09:39 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Default Thanks payloadde

Many thanks for helping, will rebuild and post back with results, soon! Thanks again.

Mike

Hide this!Advertise here!