Dual Voltage power supply ?? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st September 2014, 02:41 PM   #11
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

Why use silver solder? As you have discovered, it is harder to make a good joint. In electronic soldering the quality of the joint is far far more important than which alloy is used.
Old 1st September 2014, 03:20 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
Why use silver solder? As you have discovered, it is harder to make a good joint. In electronic soldering the quality of the joint is far far more important than which alloy is used.
The silver content 2-4% doesn't make the joint harder to make. Eutectic silver solder melts like butter and gets a nice silver finish to it so you know your joint is perfect. I do not and have never had any issues with silver solder and prefer it over tin/lead or lead free, not even close comparison IMHO. I do a fair amount of soldering.. probably every day or almost every day for several years.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 1st September 2014, 03:39 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrown14
I got it - pulled a leg on each diode to double check and after re-soldering them to the board I've got balanced voltage!! Light board still not working properly tho.... more cold solder joints probable......I couldn't tell even under VERY close look I couldn't see the bad solder joint, I was looking I swear!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobrown14
The silver content 2-4% doesn't make the joint harder to make. Eutectic silver solder melts like butter and gets a nice silver finish to it so you know your joint is perfect. I do not and have never had any issues with silver solder and prefer it over tin/lead or lead free, not even close comparison IMHO. I do a fair amount of soldering.. probably every day or almost every day for several years.
So using silver solder has the advantage that an experienced solderer using the right equipment can produce bad joints which look exactly like perfect joints?
Old 1st September 2014, 03:52 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DF96 View Post
So using silver solder has the advantage that an experienced solderer using the right equipment can produce bad joints which look exactly like perfect joints?
The cold solder joint was there from the factory original work NOT my work. My soldering FIXED the cold solder joint NOT the other way round there. Thanks tho for helping me.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 1st September 2014, 03:54 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Sorry, I misunderstood.

Hide this!Advertise here!