Reflektor-D builds - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Gallery Wiki Blogs Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2014, 04:04 PM   #11
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterRogers View Post
Yes Salas - it was very easy to build. A couple of manual nits.

* J1 isn't actually listed as a component to be installed. It's discussed and when you wrap your head around the circuit it's clearly needed. I'd suggest it be listed in the parts to install section.

* The table showing R1 / current is helpful, but I'd amend it to address the build max. It's showing 450mA as max with a 1Ohm resistor.
* I'd add a section for common build configurations. I think this is going to be a popular PS for powering the BIII. Even with the treble, it's clearly a step up over my previous efforts to power the DAC.

As always Salas, thanks for sharing your creations with all of us. Your work has brought about untold hours of enjoyment; both building and listening. You deserve my thanks too Mike; for your help in making these available. I will give it time for the lyrics to form. We might have to experiment with a FET at R6 just to compare :-)

You are welcome and thanks for the early feedback.

*J1 is indeed missing from the componentsl list. Although present in the schematic and on the board, its a miss out. Noted that.

*The table has a left vertical axis that shows CCS (A) 0.6A corresponding to 1 Ohm R1 for 450mA advisable load. That means 600mA run in the reg as max current limit with R1 = 1 Ohm.

*Mainly this thread is going to serve the many possible examples details from you the builders. Having a picture to post from your Ref-D in the BIII? Showing where the cables are going also if possible. Maybe I can include that as a popular config along with a lower running current example for powering say a Subbu 3 in some future pdf instructions revision.
Old 26th August 2014, 04:17 PM   #12
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tea-Bag View Post
If we are going to discuss build guide additions - we should talk maybe more about J1's IDSS and it's source resistor Rr.

For those who purchased minikits. The resistor kits will include 47,62,82R resistors.
So for
<4ma - 47R
4-5ma-62R
5-6ma-82R
6ma+-100R

J1 was measured with a value on it. For the few 6ma plus ones, a 100R resistor should be right in the transistor bag.

Salas, correct me if I am off a little here.

Tea
Mike, your breakdown sounds right. I will just add some simple testing info to aid that.
When measuring mV voltage drop across the RR resistor in a complete and running build, someone can derive how much current is running through J1. Simply by solving Ohm's law for IRR=VRR/RR. For example, 200mV across a 100 Ohm resistor means 2mA is running. Anything around 1.8-2.2mA is within J1 bias spec in this circuit.
Old 27th August 2014, 07:47 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Do I have to use a 9Vac transformer if I know that I'll only need 3.3Vdc and 5Vdc out from the Reflektor D's, or is it possible to go a little lower?
Old 28th August 2014, 10:02 AM   #14
diyAudio Chief Moderator

How much lower?
Old 28th August 2014, 06:30 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

First of all thank you for your time.

What I really wanted to know (but didn't write) was if there is some kind of formula for calculating the necessery overhead voltage for the Reflektor D to work.

If a 9Vac transformer does not create unnecessary heat if my target output voltage is 3.3Vdc, then I'll just buy a 9V transformer and be done with it.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:00 PM   #16
diyAudio Chief Moderator

I have tested that 1.7V DCin-DCout is absolutely no go area bcs that is where the CCS really knees down and lets some ripple pass. It will goof current setting from 2V dif point though. So you will need at least 3V higher raw DC than DCout in worse low mains hours case. A 9VAC Tx will give about 11V raw DC for instance because diodes Vf loss is a serious % in this region of voltages so make your plans accordingly. Maybe a 6.3VAC Tx for tube heaters will suite your 3.3V one. You will skip some heat in the box, but the Ref-D itself will not have a problem with 9VAC and the CCS will run bit better.
Old 28th August 2014, 08:21 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

I wasn't aware of the substantial Vf loss. Always new things to learn. Thank you.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:24 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Salas I want to use for:

BIII 5.25V 440mA
Sidecar 5.25V 65mA
S/PDIF-4 Input Board 5.25V 30mA

Total 535mA

Set to 0.73A with 0.82R R1 as you posted here The simplistic Salas low voltage shunt regulator

To set the voltage: two green LEDs and one 1N4148 for 5.25Vout?
Old 28th August 2014, 10:29 PM   #19
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Two green alone give 5V. Maybe a green, a red, and a diode. Or two reds and a diode. Do pre-test.
Old 28th August 2014, 10:36 PM   #20
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Hmm, yellow + red + diode seems more secure. Got any yellow?

Hide this!Advertise here!