Reflektor-D builds

i guess that was it. now i get 3.292 V. i am so bad at removing soldered elements. i ruin everything, make a mess and break things and end up melting everything by holding the soldering iron there for minutes at a time. i need to buy some wick, some tweezers and a ******* helping hand.

/////

Salas, thanks man your help saved me and taught me a lot. very much appreciated.

so i finally fired up my reflektor-D. is this normal or is there something wrong here:

2Nv5r9cl.jpg

there is this noise with period of ~7.5 micro second and amplitude of ~4mV. it it very regular.

Last edited:
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Looks like common mode noise interference in the measurement loop. Shut down the reg and measure again without removing the probe from the measuring points, keep it as it was. If the noise is there again in about same shape and quantity then its not coming out of the the reg.

Hi Sir Salas

Just a question.. Any benifits if say I use an Lt 1963 pre regulation prior to shunt reflector D.
Or using a Bybee after then shunt reflector D.

Asking this because I was discussing with a electronic guy. And he mentioned that's what John curl did for his legendary dac. Hope you don't mind me asking for opinion

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Pre regulation in theory isn't bad but there is a constant current source in the Ref-D that some prereg can react upon. Its either you measure there is no extra noise and oscillation in their cooperation or you rely on good or bad sound clues subjectively for the combination.

I haven't tried, not even seen a Bybee in real life, I have read that it just measures like a resistor.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
The Mosfets VGS and the BJTs Vbe first. Got to be powered up for that. About 4V and 2V for M1 M2 and about 0.6V the TO-92s would be healthy indications. Each LED itself you can try if its alive when not powered, with some external DC voltage across its pins without even desoldering it.

I have two questions, the first one is mouser part number for the Kingbright green LED. Is this it ? 604-WP2773GD

Second question is, I'm building to mini reflektor D boards. The first one will power a TP Amanero/Chronos/Rhea stack. I'll set that for 0.6A as I believe the stack draws around 0.3 A . The second one will power a BIII pro 9028. I'll set that one for 0.89 A and replace M1 with MSRF860G. They'll both have M1 and M2 secured to chassis floor, L bracket and oversized heatsink all made from aluminum. This config seems most logical to me. For the DC Flexy boards I'm unsure if I should mount the MSRF860G diodes to the chassis for heat sinking. Does anyone think they'll be hot enough to require that?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
-Yes, that's the green one

-What do you mean "and replace M1 with MSFRF860G"? M1 is a Mosfet not a TO-220 diode

-Mount the DC Flexy's MSRFs to the chassis as well. They will be powering 1.5A regs* in total, that will make them hot enough if unassisted

*Assuming one DC Flexy shared between those two regs

diodes

I have two questions, the first one is mouser part number for the Kingbright green LED. Is this it ? 604-WP2773GD

Second question is, I'm building to mini reflektor D boards. The first one will power a TP Amanero/Chronos/Rhea stack. I'll set that for 0.6A as I believe the stack draws around 0.3 A . The second one will power a BIII pro 9028. I'll set that one for 0.89 A and replace M1 with MSRF860G. They'll both have M1 and M2 secured to chassis floor, L bracket and oversized heatsink all made from aluminum. This config seems most logical to me. For the DC Flexy boards I'm unsure if I should mount the MSRF860G diodes to the chassis for heat sinking. Does anyone think they'll be hot enough to require that?

I have run the MSRF860G diodes with Reflektors up to 1A of CCS current without any sinking on them without any problems. As long as there is some air circulation inside the chassis I would expect them to be OK at your loads. I also keep things powered up 24/7, so this counts as a "long term" test. Unless your room has a very high ambient temperatures you should be fine. I live in the mountains and it is almost never above 70 degrees in here.