Just build 5V out.

Attachments

• Salas-D.JPG
    Salas-D.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 7,390
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Ah, home brew. Let us know if you can distinguish any influence when you will replace the previous in your application. Small sinks though, gonna get hot. Use 105C for the middle cap smack up to the sink if it isn't a high temp cap already.

It already 105c . I just use 180-200mA CCS, and sink are acceptable on my test :D
Its hard to distinguish any influence between Ref-D, Low Voltage salas shunt reg series regulator LM723 , and i blame it to LDO regulator/post regulator (MIC502-3x) on my ESS9023 DAC. Or my system already reach it limit so a can't distinguish any different.

I build a couple of Reflektor-D's; one to supply a Buffalo IIISE, the other to power the oscillators on my Acko SO3 isolator/reclocker/clock board. These replace 2 BIB's, with inline ultra low noise LDO's. I need to spend some time listening to it. Bass & Mids have improved in clarity & tone. Treble is interesting; it's correct tonally, but seems recessed. This may be more about the previous solution being forward or bright in the treble region.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Was it easy with the PCB building and the instructions, all clear? Let it on power for a good while so the lytics to fully form. In the treble maybe it removes the last traces of glare, but if eventually you will feel its not exactly what you aspired to in that region in your app, let me know, there is a variation instead of the R6 1K load, it can go active replaced by a FET. That gives a different tone.

Yes Salas - it was very easy to build. A couple of manual nits.

* J1 isn't actually listed as a component to be installed. It's discussed and when you wrap your head around the circuit it's clearly needed. I'd suggest it be listed in the parts to install section.

* The table showing R1 / current is helpful, but I'd amend it to address the build max. It's showing 450mA as max with a 1Ohm resistor.
* I'd add a section for common build configurations. I think this is going to be a popular PS for powering the BIII. Even with the treble, it's clearly a step up over my previous efforts to power the DAC.

As always Salas, thanks for sharing your creations with all of us. Your work has brought about untold hours of enjoyment; both building and listening. You deserve my thanks too Mike; for your help in making these available. I will give it time for the lyrics to form. We might have to experiment with a FET at R6 just to compare :)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
If we are going to discuss build guide additions - we should talk maybe more about J1's IDSS and it's source resistor Rr.

For those who purchased minikits. The resistor kits will include 47,62,82R resistors.
So for
<4ma - 47R
4-5ma-62R
5-6ma-82R
6ma+-100R

J1 was measured with a value on it. For the few 6ma plus ones, a 100R resistor should be right in the transistor bag.

Salas, correct me if I am off a little here.

Tea

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes Salas - it was very easy to build. A couple of manual nits.

* J1 isn't actually listed as a component to be installed. It's discussed and when you wrap your head around the circuit it's clearly needed. I'd suggest it be listed in the parts to install section.

* The table showing R1 / current is helpful, but I'd amend it to address the build max. It's showing 450mA as max with a 1Ohm resistor.
* I'd add a section for common build configurations. I think this is going to be a popular PS for powering the BIII. Even with the treble, it's clearly a step up over my previous efforts to power the DAC.

As always Salas, thanks for sharing your creations with all of us. Your work has brought about untold hours of enjoyment; both building and listening. You deserve my thanks too Mike; for your help in making these available. I will give it time for the lyrics to form. We might have to experiment with a FET at R6 just to compare :)

You are welcome and thanks for the early feedback.

*J1 is indeed missing from the componentsl list. Although present in the schematic and on the board, its a miss out. Noted that.

*The table has a left vertical axis that shows CCS (A) 0.6A corresponding to 1 Ohm R1 for 450mA advisable load. That means 600mA run in the reg as max current limit with R1 = 1 Ohm.

*Mainly this thread is going to serve the many possible examples details from you the builders. Having a picture to post from your Ref-D in the BIII? Showing where the cables are going also if possible. Maybe I can include that as a popular config along with a lower running current example for powering say a Subbu 3 in some future pdf instructions revision.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If we are going to discuss build guide additions - we should talk maybe more about J1's IDSS and it's source resistor Rr.

For those who purchased minikits. The resistor kits will include 47,62,82R resistors.
So for
<4ma - 47R
4-5ma-62R
5-6ma-82R
6ma+-100R

J1 was measured with a value on it. For the few 6ma plus ones, a 100R resistor should be right in the transistor bag.

Salas, correct me if I am off a little here.

Tea

Mike, your breakdown sounds right. I will just add some simple testing info to aid that.
When measuring mV voltage drop across the RR resistor in a complete and running build, someone can derive how much current is running through J1. Simply by solving Ohm's law for IRR=VRR/RR. For example, 200mV across a 100 Ohm resistor means 2mA is running. Anything around 1.8-2.2mA is within J1 bias spec in this circuit.

First of all thank you for your time.

What I really wanted to know (but didn't write) was if there is some kind of formula for calculating the necessery overhead voltage for the Reflektor D to work.

If a 9Vac transformer does not create unnecessary heat if my target output voltage is 3.3Vdc, then I'll just buy a 9V transformer and be done with it.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I have tested that 1.7V DCin-DCout is absolutely no go area bcs that is where the CCS really knees down and lets some ripple pass. It will goof current setting from 2V dif point though. So you will need at least 3V higher raw DC than DCout in worse low mains hours case. A 9VAC Tx will give about 11V raw DC for instance because diodes Vf loss is a serious % in this region of voltages so make your plans accordingly. Maybe a 6.3VAC Tx for tube heaters will suite your 3.3V one. You will skip some heat in the box, but the Ref-D itself will not have a problem with 9VAC and the CCS will run bit better.