Which Capacitors Should I Use?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
For rectifiers almost anything beats nothing. Ideally it should be an RC snubber, but I just use a 0.1 uF polyester.

There should be other threads on bypassing electrolytics, with opinions on all sides. I believe if a bypass there accomplishes anything measurable, it means you either need the bridge bypass caps (at the bridge where they can do some good) or you need better bypassing at the circuitry (where it can do some good). The only advantage of bypassing big electrolytics is you usually have handy lugs to solder to. Unfortunately the inductance of the wiring makes them pretty much useless, compared to putting them at the other two locations.

You can't fix a big bad capacitor by putting a negligible-by-comparison capacitor across it, no matter how good, and you risk creating a resonator that you didn't want. Don't like that opinion, worry not, there are many others.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.