Volt dividers after Power supply for different parts of the circuit ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I certainly don't need a big toroidal transformer based power supply. But will need different secondary voltages for different parts of the circuit, amps will be around 14v, eq around 6v, fm radio 9v, etc. can I get away with using 14v adapter and making voltage dividers after rectifier bridge ?

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
I'd second the use of regulators.

Resistive dividers or simply a series resistor are poor on may fronts, not least efficiency. Any change in the current consumption of a circuit fed from such a feed will cause a change in the voltage. Not good.

Administrator
Joined 2007
Paid Member
alright. regulators sound like a better idea. i'd have to do more research on them

They are very easy to use 78xx types for the positive rail and 79xx types for negative if they are available in the precise voltages you want. If not you can use a single zener diode to add to the voltage of the basic reg. For example a 5 volt reg and 3.3 volt zener would give 8.8 volts. The zener goes in the ground lead to the reg. Or there are adjustable regulators or you can add one transistor and one preset to a 78xx type and make a variable regulator.

Many many possibilities :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.