SPST or DPST power switch? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 16th August 2014, 07:40 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

From the 2014 ARRL Handbook:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ARRL_Gnd2.jpg (169.1 KB, 70 views)
Old 16th August 2014, 07:46 PM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
Absolutely right. I am aware of two electricians that were killed because they thought they had switched off a circuit. A DPDT switch can short on the hot side and give the indication of being off when the circuit is still dangerous.
Old 17th August 2014, 01:02 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

Might want to pass that along to the folks at Elektor and AudioXpress.
Old 17th August 2014, 02:50 PM   #14
DF96 is offline DF96  England
diyAudio Member

It may be that what the ARRL meant to say is that a switch/fuse should not be placed in the neutral line alone. Or maybe it can be guaranteed that no US installation ever has live and neutral swapped, or a fault which raises the potential of neutral?

Last edited by DF96; 17th August 2014 at 02:51 PM. Reason: extend
Old 17th August 2014, 04:40 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

Really it should mean an independent switch or fuse. A dual linked switch or circuit breaker would be OK. Don't think that we have any dual linked fuses handy.
Old 18th August 2014, 02:03 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackinnj View Post
My understanding is that this refers to breakers or fuses for the main house wiring, not for appliances, and, indeed, the code prohibits this.

Generator transfer panels must switch both hot and neutral, for obvious reasons.

I have seen numbers ranging from 0.5-2% for miswired home electrical circuits in the US. My personal experience—based upon the small sample size of every apartment I've lived or those for my friends—is that at least one miswired outlet is always present. My current apartment had 2 out of 11 outlets miswired, about 20%.

BUT, then again, my friends and I live in old buildings with antediluvian electrical systems because we're not rich, so YMMV. I'm sure newer buildings are wired better. Although when my parents had their kitchen renovated the electrical inspector did NOT check the wiring. It was all perfect, but that's not the point; the inspector simply did not check.
Old 18th August 2014, 08:15 AM   #17
AndrewT is offline AndrewT  Scotland
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovert View Post
................... My current apartment had 2 out of 11 outlets ....................I live in old buildings with antediluvian electrical systems ................
My Lounge has 8 double socket outlet plus 3 socket outlets for table lamps. Even the kitchen has 6 double socket outlets.
The whole 4bedroom house (~200m²) has ~90 power sockets.

All have been checked during construction and rechecked by me using that simple and cheap plug in tester.
0% miswired.

And I still use double pole mains switching in my equipment, when switching is included. Some have an IEC inlet socket in lieu of a mains switch.

Last edited by AndrewT; 18th August 2014 at 08:18 AM.
Old 18th August 2014, 01:13 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retrovert View Post
antediluvian electrical systems
Anything pre-Tropical Storm Sandy is, by definition "antediluvian" -- at least south of 23rd St.
Old 19th August 2014, 08:42 AM   #19
Almeg69 is offline Almeg69  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

As I run a balanced mains transformer, I will always use a double pole switch on my projects.
Old 19th August 2014, 10:01 AM   #20
freax is offline freax  Australia
diyAudio Member

Now... As a fan of Edison I'm using nothing but 12v/24v DC, so what is the story there?

The neutral of my battery bank is earthed so I could safely use SPST throughout however in the event of high voltage coming into contact with either my solar panel system/loads/battery bank I would need to leave Negative connected so the case of my projects don't become live. Correct?

The solar panel is supposed to be earthed. as part of Australian design code.
The battery bank must be earthed on the negative. as part of code.
There must be a breaker on the solar panels and on the battery bank from the load.
And all wiring must be run through "heavy duty conduit", i'm assuming that means metal conduit.
And of course signs setup for emergency personell's safety.

I may have to run a third earth wire for all loads? That way it shouldn't matter if I use SPST and disconnect positive only or use DPDT and disconnect both positive and negative at the same time.

If all else fails take the safest route. DPDT throughout with a dedicated earth wire.

Please note, I'm talking about a low voltage 12/24v DC system here.

As for fusing, I'm thinking of just fusing the positive side as usual.

Last edited by freax; 19th August 2014 at 10:12 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!