3 legs regulators best swap

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Yes, of course Abrax :)

Here's the basis of the idea for my reg - the left hand LM350 here is a tracking pre-regulator. Instead of another LM350 for the right hand device I'm using the MJE15034 fed from an RC filtered array of TL431s (seeing as they're cheap, even an array is cheaper than a single low-noise ref). I also have a TL431 (set to 2.5V) in place of the 720 ohm resistor fixing the headroom of the output device.

This reg I've designed to feed my very large cap banks so it needs not to blow up when driving into a short circuit for a few seconds or more.

Seems I need like many to find a drawning soft for pcb !Everybody make its own nowadays... The level of diyers increase... unluckily my knowledge stays close to the one learned at Midle-Age !
If you're still interested I'll put the schematic for this reg into easyEDA (EasyEDA - Web-Based EDA, schematic capture, spice circuit simulation and PCB layout Online) and eventually I'll get around to making a PCB.

Attachments

• abrareg.jpg
    abrareg.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 389
Last edited:
It sounds interresting, but takes more place than the little Salas Reflektor ! I need more here something ittle for a swap ! but rapid and with very low noise as for a dac chip...

Is it less noisy than your last force & shunt TL431 ? How is the impedance range before your babel caps tower (I mean right at the output of your reg ) ?

I remember easyeda but can we download any shematic from this web plateform or is it captif to use their print services ?

Thanks for your proposal...

The TL431 shunt by itself is fairly noisy - I recall a measurement published on DIYA which showed about 20uV for a TL431. But more than this I have a suspicioin that being a feedback shunt it contributes more noise when fed with noise from the load. Hence I've gone away from active shunts in favour of shed loads of paralleled caps.

I agree my new regulator is considerably more bulky than just a single TO220 so probably can't be a physical replacement for a single 3pin reg. It does though deliver low noise for little buck. Its considerably lower noise than a TL431 as it uses multiple paralleled shunts - giving almost 10dB noise reduction, also it filters the noise from the array with a sub-10Hz corner freq.

easyEDA allows you to create a pdf from a schematic which you can take away. It also allows you to order PCBs directly and they're pretty cheap.

Last edited:
So :
-some TPS7Axxx 3 pins like regs
-Some brand new chips like ADM7150 : even better in noise measurement
-Some solid containder like The LT1963A, LT3015
-A shunt 3 pins like by Salas to come but not with a Darlington maid with little BC bjt (?)

More complex and spacy Jung regs (not 3 pins like) :

All are standalone regs like I'm looking for and not pre reg + LDO near the load.

Are some better for an analog stage while others better for a digital stage ? Does a Jung reg can be a little far to the load (let say : 10 cm e.g.) ?

I surmise all the regs with an output tantalum or X7R with a value >0.1 uF can be avoided for analogic stages because of the coloration given by those caps when big values are choosed, but is there something near a Jung reg in sound quality (than I translate by low wide impedance, fast transcient and low noise), but three pins 78/79xx like on a vertical PCB?

Liked the solution of the cheap kit (if pcb is also) of the mini shunt, but what about the noise ? Is it reasonable to make discrete regs in relation to the best integrated OEM that are mini and very low noise ?

At least does someone benchmarked a Nazaar reg with its 0.1 uf output caps only versus OEM chips (no big caps near he load !) ?

Sorry if all those questions have been asked quite years ago ! I feel the need to vacum my knowledge with all those more or less new reg chips ! AT least for the digital sections !

Some list à la Jackinnj is very usefull for an enthusiast as I : best trade offs in relation to the main quality ! Here I have no place for something else than 3 pins regs but if longer wires for feeding the load don't waste a better sounding regs with a bigger horizontal pcb but farer to the load! My understanding is: the farer is load on a pcb from its reg, the worst are the measurements (bigger loop ground, etc !).

What are the best trade offs list nowadays ? : a good SQ/P is the OEM chips and a good SQ without looking the space and price are the Jungs like pcbs ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.