DGND AGND on PCB - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 26th August 2014, 04:46 PM   #21
rayma is offline rayma  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewT View Post
I would need to read Ott again.
But one thing I do know:
I do not know enough to design a planed PCB.
It's actually easier to do than a two sided board, for the most part. If you have enough inner layers for the supplies and ground,
all those traces are gone, replaced by vias to a layer. You can then concentrate on good layout practices, instead of trying to cram
everything into just two layers.
Old 26th August 2014, 07:54 PM   #22
marce is offline marce  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

PCB design is not that taxing, a bit of placement and join the dots
Old 26th August 2014, 08:21 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marce View Post
PCB design is not that taxing, a bit of placement and join the dots
Sounds like you haven't done much of it. It's extremely detail oriented.
Old 26th August 2014, 08:52 PM   #24
dmills is offline dmills  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

C|N>K
Rayma owes me a new keyboard.....

Marce has a point, placement is 50% of the battle.

Regards, Dan.
Old 26th August 2014, 10:24 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmills View Post
C|N>K
Rayma owes me a new keyboard.....

Marce has a point, placement is 50% of the battle.

Regards, Dan.
Yes it is, placement is certainly an important part of pcb layout. I spend about half of my time on the initial placement, then routing is much easier.
Old 27th August 2014, 01:47 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayma View Post
Sounds like you haven't done much of it. It's extremely detail oriented.
Probably done a lot more than you or most on this site actually, and probably more cutting edge designs as well.
So before you jump in you may want to note I put a smillie at the end of my comment and my profile lists what I have done as a job since 1985.....
For the record placement is the most important skill in PCB design, if you don't get the placement correct routing will be horrendous.

Last edited by marce; 27th August 2014 at 01:53 PM.
Old 27th August 2014, 01:51 PM   #27
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Probably done a lot more than you or most on this site actually.
Ok, then you must be a lot better at it than I am. It takes me around 3-4 weeks to complete a medium size pcb, and I've been doing this for decades.
Old 27th August 2014, 02:11 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I have been doing it for 30 years next year and have done nothing else for the last 30 years but design and study all aspects of PCB design manufacture and assembly, including being well versed in the IPC specs. I did most of the PCBs for this and have worked closely on the noise cancelling headphones that hook up to it (not Bose):
http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capab...ments/vic5.pdf
and mainly do work for similar customers...I also do a lot of HDI designs as well as SMPSs for sensitive areas.
I did put the comment up as a light hearted look at PCB design because it still is join the dots when alls said and done, you just have to think of impedances, length matching current capacity EMC signal integrity (I use SIV software) etc etc.

Old 27th August 2014, 02:43 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have been doing it for 30 years next year and have done nothing else for the last 30 years but design and study all aspects of PCB design manufacture and assembly, including being well versed in the IPC specs. I did most of the PCBs for this and have worked closely on the noise cancelling headphones that hook up to it (not Bose):
http://www.northropgrumman.com/Capab...ments/vic5.pdf
and mainly do work for similar customers...I also do a lot of HDI designs as well as SMPSs for sensitive areas.
I did put the comment up as a light hearted look at PCB design because it still is join the dots when alls said and done, you just have to think of impedances, length matching current capacity EMC signal integrity (I use SIV software) etc etc.
Wow, no wonder you think it's easy. Remember how bewildering it is to a novice, though. Most just have a basic layout program and no experience.
Old 27th August 2014, 03:03 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Yes, I do give sensible advice regarding PCB design on here and a more electronic based forum. The best way of learning it is doing it, and when starting out (or even when experienced) try different placements of components and see how the routing changes, especially on analogue, which can be more taxing than digital as it is often less forgiving especially feed back loops that like to be small. I am doing a big analogue board next, looking forward to it, plenty of op-amps and sensor inputs, old school components as well (well SOIC IC's 1.27mm pitch a change from the 0.5mm and 0.65mm QFNs that I generally play with).
AGND and DGND as well but with the recommendation that there are lots of stitching points as these little single point starpoints don't do that well when EMC testing is done, the conducted immunity tests on the cables can cause one ground to rise way above the other causing all sorts of problems due to a high impedance tiny starpoint, often a via on some designs.

Hide this!Advertise here!