Beginner is an Understatement

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hello all, let me start off by saying i apologize if this has been answered before I’ve searched low and high for the answer but do not see it anywhere. When i say i am a beginner i truly mean it. I recently bought two different types of amps one is a PAM8403 and the other is a MKII TA2024. My question is how do i power either of these?

For the PAM8403...I am looking to just use batteries either AA AAA or 9V if i use a 9v i would have to use a regulator right? According to the seller there should be no more that 5v of power or it will fry the amp.

For the MKII TA2024...I see a lot of people using the 12v SLA's however i feel like these are way to heavy as i am looking for them to be portable. I have been looking into LIPO or Li-Ion however not sure which way to go. Also ive heard that you can use a RC Car battery to power an amp...how do i do this?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, and please i ask go easy on me the more basic it is the better!

From the datasheet:

"3. The recommended operating voltage is 5.5V. When the PAM8403 is powered with four battery cells, it should be noted that the voltage of four
new dry or alkaline batteries is over 6.0V, higher than its operation voltage, which will probably damage the device. Therefore, it's
recommended to use either four Ni-MH (Nickel Metal Hydride) rechargeable batteries or 3 dry or alkaline batteries."

NiMH batteries are rechargeable, they make 1.2v per cell, so a battery pack of 4 cells is 4.8v. 4 D cells has 10Ah, that will last a long time. You need a special charger for NiMH.

"External Battery Packs" intended for recharging smart phones and tablet computers are all the rage now. They meet the USB standard by supplying regulated 5VDC for the entire charge. Capacity varies with size. Make sure it can handle the current you need. This one makes 3.1A with 16Ah, that is 15W, which should be enough for 3W amp that is supposedly 80% efficient. That 3W is at 10% distortion, which is unlistenable, so you will probably get only 2W.

A USB power cable:
Amazon.com: StarTech.com USB2TYPEM 3 Feet USB to Type M Barrel 5V DC Power Cable: Electronics

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.