Power supply for a Class A hybrid 6N11 headphone amp - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th June 2014, 01:50 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Power supply for a Class A hybrid 6N11 headphone amp

My brother gave me a Yuanjing Class A hybrid headphone amp using a Chinese 6N11 tube and what I think are MOSFET outputs. I like listening to headphones, and this amp has a nice, soft sound that enhances the sound from my ipod and my older portable CD player.

The downside is power consumption. My brother included a 24V battery pack he made using AA batteries to supply the needed 24VDC. Even with good alkaline batteries, the amp gets thirsty pretty fast. I would use rechargeables, but they already start off at 1.2V vs 1.5V, and the amp starts flagging at around 1.2V. There are some ac/dc adaptors out there that claim to put out 24VDC, but so many aren't regulated and may inject noise into the circuit.

Now, I did find this: DFU240050F1121: JAMECO RELIAPRO: Power Supplies & Wall Adapters
It claims to be a regulated 24VDC and isn't too expensive. But I'm worried about its current only being .5A. Not sure if that's enough, but really don't know.

I would appreciate some guidance on this cause I could make so much more use of the amp if I could power it with an adaptor rather than batteries.

Thank you,
-William
Old 12th June 2014, 07:47 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

0.5A definitely is not enough. The 6N11's heater itself consumes that much. I'd get something at least 24 Volts at 2A (soo.. 50 watts). Ebay is flooded with this kind of Power Supply.
Old 12th June 2014, 08:28 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to JonSnell Electronic
Delta Electronics AC power adaptor. 24 volts DC. 0.84 amps. HP PN C769084200 | eBay
Powertec II 2B24-1.0A Power Supply, 18 - 25.2+ Volts DC | eBay
DIRECTV 24VOLT POWER SUPPLY DC SWITCHING 3A-502DA22 | eBay
etc etc

Hide this!Advertise here!