Klipsch RW-12D power supply with issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,
I'm new to this forum, but I do have some experience with electronics.

I'm trying to repair a Klipsch RW-12D subwoofer, and I've narrowed down the problem to the power supply. Actually, the problem I have is somewhat different from the problems I've seen described in other topics. Actually, my power supply SOMETIMES works, for about a minute or so. As far as I can see, the primary part is working fine. The secondary part is mostly working okay. I actually get a stable 84 volts over the output capacitor.

However, I'm having a little bit of trouble understanding how exactly the power supply works. There are only two outputs, CD- and CD+. CD+ is directly connected to the positive lead of the output capacitor. CD- goes to a circuit, built around a MOSfet.
When the PSU doesn't work, I don't get any voltage between CD- and CD+. However, on the brief occasions when the PSU does work, I get around 8 volt between the two terminals. At that moment, the voltage is balanced to the ground (between ground and CD+ would be around 4 volt, and between ground and CD- I would get -4 volt, which seems logical). However, when I increase the volume, the voltage between CD+ and CD- actually increases.

Because sometimes the PSU works for a few moments, I'm assuming no semiconductors or resistors are broken. I've checked the electrolytical capacitors using an ESR meter, and they all test fine.
I've resoldered all of the solder joints, but I have a slight suspicion that it's still a broken joint or a circuit board issue.

The reference of the PSU is Indigo 600130; it's actually a BASH amplifier + power supply.

Does the issue I have ring any bells? Is it a common issue? Could the PCB board itself be the cause?
Thanks for any response,
Kelly

did you ever solve this? Have something similar. The whole board seems OK, but is not giving enough power output I think. The schematics I found on the internet says CD+ and CD- should be 5v +-0.2. My output is 4.2 volts on each. Measuring up to 8.4 cross them both. Very annoying :(

Yeah! Problem solved!

So, after spending much of my time debugging on the SMPS, thinking the fault was that it did not produce 5.0V on the outputs (mine showes 4.2V, which according to the RW12 schematics seems to be correct!), I changed the last capacitor in the whole system that seemed strange. Its located on the output/amplification stage, the Bash Indigo 650038 Rev:0.

It is labeled G-LUXON, 220uF, 25V, 85 degrees celcius.

Measured value in circuit was 512uF, and measuring it out of circuit shows 472uF and 0.45 Ohms.

Putting in a new 220uF cap made it play right away.

To notice, I had the same problem as described. I could hear sound, but it seemed to not be amplified. I have a Focal Chorus SW 800 V.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.