Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Power Supplies

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old Yesterday, 12:06 PM   #1
sbp is offline sbp  Denmark
diyAudio Member

Default Advice on dual power supply needed.

Hi.
I hope you will help me with good advice for my project. Unfortunately, I must confess that I probably won't be able to do much soldering.

I want to build a small unit with a raspberry, a small amplifier with volume control in a alu case.
I will be using my piCorePlayer image as a Squeezebox replacement.
https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home/news

What I need help with is to choose a suitable power supply. The raspberry will need 5V 1A whereas the amplifier will need 12V

I'm considering these:
AC to DC Converter AC85 265V to DC12V1A 5V1A Dual Output Switching Power Supply | eBay

or
$12.51 5V 2A / 12V 2.5A Dual Output Regulated Switching Power Supply - AC 110-240V at FastTech - Worldwide Free Shipping

or
Universal AC 110V 220V to DC 12V 5V LCD Dual Voltage Power Supply Module Adaptor | eBay

However I don't have a clue whether they will be fine for my project.

I have the raspberry pi with a HiFiberry I2S DAC
and this amplifier:
Yamaha YDA138 E Mini Digital Audio Amplifier Board | eBay

I have bought this alu case for it, so it restricts the size of the power supply:
1105 Full Aluminum preamp | eBay

Will it be possible to find a small power supply that fits in this case with dual output 12V and 5V. Or would I have to use an external power brick?

Steen

Last edited by sbp; Today at 07:30 AM.
Old Yesterday, 12:48 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Sorry the case I'm using is this one (the link above was not functional):
1105 Full Aluminum Delicate Enclosure Case Preamp Box PSU Chassis DIY | eBay

/Steen
Old Yesterday, 01:16 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

well, that last one is the only one that will power the amplifier sufficiently. hard to say by the numbers, without testing actual current draw, but it appears that it will handle up to 4a output on an solid 12v supply, hence the 5a output being appropriate. i fear that if you try to cut that short, you will only sacrifice a great deal of sound quality. problem is, it is a tad on the large side for that casing, but you may be able to shave it down to fit. have you thought of using a 10-15vdc input via wall adapter, or supply, and just using that and a 12-5v step-down regulator? at least then, you have more options to make it portable for camping, or something....
Old Yesterday, 01:18 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbp View Post
Sorry the case I'm using is this one (the link above was not functional):
1105 Full Aluminum Delicate Enclosure Case Preamp Box PSU Chassis DIY | eBay

/Steen
actually, the link in your original post worked for me, though "already sold" lol, and the one in this post does not work..... so i guess one link for different browsers?...haha.
Old Yesterday, 02:19 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

If you thin an external power brick would be better I will consider that. Do you have a special one in mind?
Steen
Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

i do not have a specific one in mind, and it is just what i would do, personally. 12v is one of the most versatile, and matches with most vehicles. not only that, the rapidly expanding led market uses primarily 12v dc source, other than the high voltage application, so there are many "slimline" supplies, or small desktop/bench supplies, in-line, plug-mounted, etc. it all comes down to what works well with you and your needs/desires. who knows, you may later want to add an equalizer, more channels, ir/rf reciever, cooling fan, or whatever to it, and you would have the room in that case, as opposed to trying to get a sturdy enough supply to fit into that case. there is also the fact that it is a binding socket on some of those, which leaves more room for error/failure than i am comfortable with in hv connections. i can see a loose strand, or firm accidental tug ruining someones' day easily....
just my 2cents,
~Heath H~
Old Today, 07:49 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKHeathen View Post
there is also the fact that it is a binding socket on some of those, which leaves more room for error/failure than i am comfortable with in hv connections. i can see a loose strand, or firm accidental tug ruining someones' day easily....
just my 2cents,
~Heath H~
I fully understand your concern - so I have decided to follow your advice.
But then new questions occur.
1. How many Ampere should it have in order to drive both the raspberry and the amplifier - would 5A be enough?
2. Is there a standard connector for these power supply, and where do I get the female connector to use in the Alu case?
3. The 12V to 5V converter will this one be OK?
DC Power Supply Module Voltage Adjustable Step Down Adapter 24V 12V to 5V 9V | eBay

Thanks
Steen

Last edited by sbp; Today at 07:55 AM.

Hide this!Advertise here!