Interesting power supply module on Kickstarter

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Just came across this interesting project launched on kickstarter
pnmini positive negative power supply module
there are 500mA and 2A module, and after exchanging some message with the creator of the project, it seems the module has 11mv voltage ripple.
I don't know if that's good enough for audio applications, so I thought I'd put this data here and let the more knowledgeable crowd give their feedback.

Please note that I have no affiliation whatsoever with the campaign, but a 10$ power supply module with both negative and positive options is sure something to look into :)

Last edited:
Just came across this interesting project launched on kickstarter
pnmini positive negative power supply module
there are 500mA and 2A module, and after exchanging some message with the creator of the project, it seems the module has 11mv voltage ripple.
I don't know if that's good enough for audio applications, so I thought I'd put this data here and let the more knowledgeable crowd give their feedback.

Please note that I have no affiliation whatsoever with the campaign, but a 10$ power supply module with both negative and positive options is sure something to look into :)

Good for digital electronics. That is what author advertises.

Why would you buy it from some guy on kickstarter when you can get better specced stuff for half the price from all the big manufacturers and distributors, delivered in your mailbox in less than 24h ?

Convertisseurs DC/DC - Point de Charge (POL) Non Isolé | Farnell France | Results

Those are fine for powering microcontrollers, LEDs and such, which don't really care about power supply noise ; for sensitive analog circuits, no way.

Last edited:
Just took a look at the farnell modules you linked to.
I still can see a few advatages to the ones on kickstarter:
1- adjustable voltage, which makes it interesting for us DIYers as we don't have to buy a new module everytime a project requires a different volatge
2- As Jean-paul has noted, the option to have either positive or negative volatge in one singe module, with the same advantage as above
3- Max current, as the one on kickstarter can go to 2 amps with no aditional cooling, as opposed to the 1amp modules on farnell
4- Ripple voltage, these have 11mV as opposed to the 50mV (min) of the farnell modules
5- Price, the kickstarter one being only slightly more expensive than the farnell parts and the early bird ones (8$) being actually less expensive.
Now, there might be other criteria and specs that make the kickstarter ones less desirable, but my knowledge stops here.
Regards
Nick

Disabled Account
Joined 2002
It still are switchers. I would never use them for analog projects. Nowadays manufacturers tell us they use SMPS because they are "better" but often they are not.

SMPS are used as they are cheaper to produce and they are lighter and smaller. Just have a look at the price of copper.

Think of using an old fashioned transformer in a device, then think of its price, size and weight and now think to 1000 units that have to be shipped from China to Europe/US.....

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.