Switching Power Supply Safety & Mounting?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am looking to use a Genssi 350w switching power supply to power a sure electronics TDA7498 starter amplifier behind a wall mounted television.
Amazon.com: Genssi 36V DC 9.7A 350W Regulated Switching Power Supply: Electronics

Do switching power supplies need to be in an enclosure for safety?
Is it safe to mount the power supply on a wall?
Is it safe to put one behind a TV?
Is it safe to have the power supply running when not in use? Should I hook it up to a power switch/strip?
I would prefer to wire it to a DC power plug instead of straight wire. Is there any "minimum" rating on the cord to prevent it from starting a fire or can I salvage a couple feet and tip from an old power supply?

Am I going to kill myself/someone else?

Should I just get this with the included power supply instead?
http://www.sureelectronics.net/goods.php?id=2600
I am using this to power these:
8 Inches Kevlar 3-Way High Power In-Wall Speaker (Pair) - 100W Nominal, 200W Max - Monoprice.com

and also may plug in an active woofer to the woofer out.

I am sorry if some of these questions are basic, thanks in advance for any help!

Anywhere there is mains voltage needs to be inside an enclosure.

Leaving a SMPS on permanently will reduce its lifespan.
The electrolytics will eventually fail depending on their rated lifespan.

Thanks for the reply Nigel!

Is there any kind of suggested enclosure for something like this? Would a plastic or wood project box be sufficient? Also, would it ruin the safety by drilling holes all over it to allow for venting or should I look to try to install an enclosure fan?

Imho:
The hipot levels appear to indicate a 110VAC mains use, not 220VAC. No spec sheet per se. High in-rush current. It would need a mains switch and fuse and earthed connection. No standards compliance specified, so you take what you get on the chin. If you are not trained, or have access to a competent person to supervise the ac connection, then you take the diy risk yourself and shouldn't impose that risk on others.

Imho:
The hipot levels appear to indicate a 110VAC mains use, not 220VAC. No spec sheet per se. High in-rush current. It would need a mains switch and fuse and earthed connection. No standards compliance specified, so you take what you get on the chin. If you are not trained, or have access to a competent person to supervise the ac connection, then you take the diy risk yourself and shouldn't impose that risk on others.

Thanks kind of what I was thinking. I have a friend who used to make speakers as a side job and I might talk to him if I go with the D amp.

I forgot I had an old Onkyo TX-8211 I can hook up to these speakers.
Would the sound quality difference be between that D amp and the 8211?

Switchmode PSU's are dangerous little beggars to work on

that unit you've shown for what you wish to do, would most definitely need to be enclosed for your purpose

you would need to suitably and "legally" do Mains wiring for it ..laws and who can do this vary for different states and countries
(too many people getting electro plated has forced stricter codes & practices in this regard these days)
Since your placing it in probably a family/ pet environment thats kinda important
that it be safe and somewhat well ventilated

I dont advise leaving them switched on
As pointed out By Nigel
the Electrolytic capacitors do have finite life and usually the caps they use aren't of the highest quality in that regard so your do shorten the life expectancy

Personally, generally speaking
due to the amount of electronics in them and failing caps
I dont trust them not to burn your house down but we do leave a lot of them switch on in our houses, as most everything uses a switcher these days..
(why your phone chargers are so light..it a switcher...tv's computers wall warts too so heaps of them in your house )

The amp you are referring to, is it this one ?????

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/class-d/194413-sure-electronics-new-low-cost-25w-100w-board.html

a supply like this would be the go..for convenience
2 X 100Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Starter TDA7498 w 24V 5A 120W power adapter -

but it seems your Voltage/Amperage .. 36@10Amp(nearly)
means you probably wont find one in that style

So if this link you posted
2 X 100Watt Class D Audio Amplifier Starter TDA7498 w 24V 5A 120W power adapter_Class D Amplifier Board_Audio Amplifier and other Audio Boards_Audio_Sure Electronics' Webstore
does suit your purposes it may be the simpler option to go
Really

if your in the USA (which seems you are)
110/ 120VAC is your Mains Voltage
(more like 120Vac I believe now, shouldn't worry the switcher Thought)

PS your questions are Valid ones..
nice to see someone thinking in terms of Safety and life

Just my thoughts anyway HTH

PPS
oh on sound quality difference
I think that would be more Down to speakers and room Acoustics
then amps but sure they can factor into the equation yes

Class D is a new thing to me but the idea is to bring Digital Efficiently (power wise) & Accuracy I believe to what was the Domain of Analog Amplifiers

thought Analogue was quite capable of very low distortions in well designed equipment
thought yes, sometimes Amp&Speaker combinations
may introduce audible effects (artifacts) I think the speaker and it frequency response and own distortions would be more dominant
in defining the Sound (not to mention Room acoustics as I said)
but sometimes anps and speakers weren't a match made in heaven, true

Sounds a very subjective thing
and to me really its down to personal tastes..

I do think there are people that do have a great ability & acute awareness to discern subtle differences with sound
but for the majority of us its mostly what we like...
my opinion anyway

So try your other amp and see if you like it
(just make sure its working ok before hooking it up to your new speakers)

Imho:

hum just read this by trobbins after I replied
yes agree
Sadly so much stuff just doesn't meet standards these days and finds its way into many countries
not saying this doesnt but its very much "let the buyer beware"
with electronics

years ago in Oz (Aust) everything was tested
but these days even our power points (GPO's) are made in China (or else where)
and its not that they dont or cant make a reputable complaint product
its just
1 no one pays them to
(those that tend to value their reputation in the world do keep a tight QC Ship)
2 so many clone shops in for a fast buck...doing knock offs
3 not enough compliance checking or product testing done in countries that the goods are imported to

Sadly guess thats just cause of the shear volume of items being imported now days

Anyway good point trobbins :)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.